Dr. Amir Javed
Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor
Experience:  Master in Internal medicine (London), MBBS, expert in health and fitness (six years experience)
16101430

Hello. I have been experiencing upper right quadrant pain in

Hello. I have been experiencing upper right quadrant pain in association to alcohol consumption for the past several months. I have also experienced severe constipation a couple of times over this same period of time as well. When I do produce a bowel movement it is usually pretty light in color. In addition I am very itchy all over which sometimes is painful- ie pins and needles. Doctors have performed several liver panels and have done an ultra sound and CT scan as well. every test has produced normal results. One doctor attributed my pain to my duodenum. The symptoms persist and are very alarming. Is there something that could have been missed ?
Thanks for the question and coming on Just Answer. I would like to have few important details. Any tests such as serum lipase level or upper GI endoscopy done yet? The pain is more after having meals or in between meals?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No upper GI or endoscopy. I haven't noticed any additional discomfort after meals the pain is usually triggered primarily by alcohol.

Thanks for the details. I would like to say that there are few important possibilities which should be investigated such as mild inflammation of pancreas due to alcohol induced, sphincter of oddi dysfunction, gastric or duodenal ulcer, gastritis. I will highly advise to see gastroenterologist for evaluation and these tests such as Upper GI endoscopy, serum lipase level, MRCP test which is more specific to see any calculi and abnormality in the biliary passages. Reduce alcohol intake and avoid spicy or junk food.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to click either 2 "poor service" or 1 "bad service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. My goal is excellent service which is rating 5. Rating of 4 or 5 is highly highly appreciated as this is the only way we doctors can get credit here. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the response. I have been concerned that my symptoms were caused by my liver. Based on the results of the tests that were performed- they have kind of dismissed that concern. Based on my symptoms is there anything else that I should keep an eye on and how urgent would you say the matter is? Thanks again

I would say that if liver function tests are normal such as liver enzymes ALT, AST, GGT and bilirubin level then nothing to worry about and on the top if there is not any inflammation of liver in that case this is not due to liver. It is important to investigate and rule out the possibilities which I mentioned above and yes important to have these tests soon as possible. Try to make an early appointment with gastroenterologist.

Best wishes
Dr. Amir Javed.