Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a problem that I hope someone can give me an answer

Hello, I have a problem that I hope someone can give me an answer to, I am suffering from some sort of irritation around my anus. I have inspected the area and there are several blueish bumps around the opening, like blood blisters. The discomfort is almost always there and is exacerbated after having a bowl movement and seems to become inflamed.
At the most the pain feels like tiny cuts that are being doused in disinfectant and at the least it seems just like an itch.
I hope you can provide some sort of answers to my problems. Thank you.
Greetings.

Since how long are your symptoms?
Do you have bleeding after bowel motion?
Is there itching in and around the anus?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would say I have suffered from this for several years now.

Not always but sometimes there may be specks of blood on the toilet tissue after wiping.

The itching doesn't seem to be emanating from within the anus, only the outside.

I also like to add, I do lift heavy weights.

Your symptoms are suggestive of hemorrhoids. The treatment of hemorrhoids is by warm sitz bath, avoiding straining, keeping the stools soft and local application of the ointment like proctosedyl or Preparation-H. Following is the detailed advisory;

1) Avoid constipation by not postponing the urge to defecate; Many over-the-counter options helps speed bowel movements and decrease straining. Duphalac is best. A soft stool helps in decreasing the irritation and associated swelling of hemorrhoids.

2) Eat a balanced, high-fiber diet; Increased dietary fiber of 25-30 grams / day. High fiber cereal can help reach this goal quickly.

3) Drink plenty of water and liquids (about 2 liters a day)

4) Regular exercise; this helps in relieving constipation, if any.

5) Avoid excessive pressure and straining during defecation. Don't sit for extended periods, limit this time as much as possible.

6) Avoid irritant foods, chillies and hot herbs and substances.

7) Warm sitz baths; this is universally soothing for pain and may help decrease the hemorrhoid size. This is done thrice a day for couple of days and then twice a day (15 minutes each time).

8) Local ointments applied in anal canal which contain xylocaine and vasconstrictors (OTC product).

Read here;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hemorrhoids/DS00096

The hemorrhoids should respond to these measure in 3-4 weeks. If they do not completely resolve in this duration, it would be time to seek a personal examination by a physician.

If these measures do not help you may try the non surgical / mild invasive procedures;

1) Rubber band ligation
2) Bipolar, infrared, and laser coagulation
3) Sclerotherapy
4) Cryosurgery
5) Laser hemorrhoidectomy
6) Doppler-guided hemorrhoidal artery ligation
7) Anal stretching or Lord's stretching.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer but I do have questions. The bluish bumps I described on the outside of the anus, do these coincide with hemorrhoids and could this be in anyway perianal hematoma?

Th perianal hematoma has a short history of 1-2 days and is severely painful. A longer history would indicate either the prolapsed hemorrhoid or external inflamed hemorrhoids.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun