How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nurse Milli, RN Your Own Question
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4139
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Nurse Milli, RN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have read burning skin around the head of my penis and

This answer was rated:

I have read burning skin around the head of my penis and along the underside of the shaft. The rash comes and goes. The rash is not moist. There is no foul smell or discharge coming from the penis. I had a 8 panel STD check all negative. No sex two months prior to the testing (my last sex encounter I was the recipient of unprotected oral, but like I stated that was months ago & as of last week, I'm negative for any STD . The rash does not respond to jock itch cream. What do you think I have and what other over-the-counter medicines can I try. I've considered metrogel or monistat. What do you think.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.
Are you circumcised or no?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have pictures if that helps
Ok thanks for the added information.
You are welcome to share a picture if you would like. Just let me know where to go to view.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are u still working on my response?
Hi, I asked in my last post to let me know where to go to see the photos...did you want me to view anything? You're welcome to share a photo...just let me know what website you use to host the photo or give me a link on how to get to it. If you would like an answer without a photo, I have a good idea of what might be going on. Just let me know. I'm standing by.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The only way I know to share the photo is email to you. If you don't think you need it then answer.
Just answer prohibits us from giving out an email address...sorry about that.
I'll go ahead and tell you what I think....
From this explanation of your symptoms, I have a few possibilities for you to consider.
Fungal infections such as yeast often will come and go. Redness and burning will also accompany. Sometimes the tissue will swell in response to the inflamed areas. Itching will also ensue but this is often worse in females.
Another thought is balanitis. This is basically an inflammation of the glans. We normally see this more in ‘uncircumcised’ males than in your case.
Psoriasis is also a possibility as it would appear red and would also burn at times. However, the shaft of the penis is not necessarily a 'common' place for psoriasis - and also you would most likely have it other places as well.
I am thinking you have a fungal infection. Jock itch is actually 'Ringworm' and is fungal and usually will not be seen on the penis but more in the groin, folds in the skin on the groin, inner thighs, or buttocks. However a yeast infection would and could affect the penis. The medication used for jock itch (over the counter) might not be strong enough for it to clear up. Fungal infections can be difficult to treat. You can try some over the counter Monistat but expect it to burn...especially in the areas that already burn. You would just simply apply it twice a day for a week and see if it helps. If not, you will most likely have to have a prescription for something stronger - possibly Diflucan (oral Rx med for yeast).
Let me know if you need more info...
Nurse Milli, RN and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you