Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

Is it normal to have a faster pulse when you don't get a

Is it normal to have a faster pulse when you don't get a good nights sleep. Typically when I wake up my pulse is in the 70's, but on occassion when I don't sleep well I'll notice that my pulse will be in the high 80's to 90's when I wake up and will stay that way most of the day, sometimes getting up to 110 or so. Is this anything to be concerned about?
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.
Your heart rate can increase with stress and if are not getting enough sleep or you find yourself not sleeping well, the heart rate can go up in response to that. However, if it's normally in the 70's and on occasion it goes to 110 or so (even 90's), I would have to wonder if you are possibly in an irregular heart rhythm. Some people can be in atrial fibrillation and not even know it and this can cause your heart rate to be elevated (and not sleep well). Other irregular heart beats can cause a faster than normal rate and also cause you to not sleep well.
So, is it a matter of not sleeping well is causing the higher than normal heart rate or is your heart rhythm causing you to not sleep well and as a result the heart rate is elevated.
My best suggestion on this one is to have your Dr put a 48-72 hour holtor monitor on you (its a portable EKG machine) and wear it and see what comes up. You could possibly even have a EKG in the Dr's office and be able to tell what is going on, but if not, the at home monitor can pick up on a lot of 'abnormalities' and give the Dr a good idea of what is happening.
Reply back if I can help further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been under a great deal of stress lately, so am attribuiting this to that but will mention it to my doctor. Is this something that can wait a few days as I am traveling.

Thanks for the reply back. Stress can CERTAINLY cause your heart rate to go up...no doubt about that. You can wait as long as you are not having any other symptoms and as long as your heart rate stays between 60 beats per minute and 100 beats per minute. Anything below or under those norms, I'd have to advise you to not wait.