Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am considering a career change and am very interested in

working in medicine. As a health...
I am considering a career change and am very interested in working in medicine.
As a health professional, what trends do you see that indicate potential job opportunities in the future? Is nursing the way to go, or do you believe a degree in some form of medical technology is the way to go?
Basically, if you were starting over, where would you go, and what skills would you need to get there? Unfortunately, I am probably too old to get an MD, although I am willing to go back to school for 3-4 years, if necessary.
Thank you so much for your time.
11/28/2012
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.
Nursing is a great career because there are so many different areas you can work in. You can also do travel nursing or even work at a desk doing paperwork type jobs. However, the Associate's degree RN is quickly being replaced by the BSN. While the Associate's degree is a great place to start, more and more employers are looking for that 4 year degree and most BSN graduates will work for the same amount as the ADN new grads, so the employers are hiring more and more BSN's than anything....so keep that in mind when looking at degrees.
Nursing school is LONG hours, tons (did I mention TONS) of paperwork and lots of physical hard work. You are basically a non-paid nurse the whole time you are in school and this tends to frustrate a lot of students because they are tired and ready to start making real money.
As far as the medical field goes, being a Pharmacist is always a good job. There is also a 4 year degree involved (plus a bit more for the PharmD) but job security is there as well. There are no hard clinicals (bed pans, lifting patients, etc) but lots of work no doubt. Most anything you dive into - medical field related will require a lot of time and yes, the MD route is very time consuming but it can be done too if you are very dedicated (most just simply can't at age 40 because of real life obligations by that age).
There's always the xray technician...2 year degree and you can get on the job training for CT and MRI (etc) and that would make you a good job. (of course you'd have to take the MRI or CT registry to become certified) but after that, you're ready to go.
If I was going change careers, I'd be a Pharmacist. It has always been an interesting part of the medical field and I think I would enjoy it very much. (good salary too)
So, you've got radiology, nursing, pharmacy etc.
You can always take an online career survey quiz and find out what career fits you best based on your answers or you can go to your nearest community college or university and ask to speak with a counselor and they can help guide you as well.
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)