Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

Can fluid in the lungs result from a fall on the ground

Can fluid in the lungs result from a fall on the ground after tripping over an object and going down on the upper part of the body?
Dr. Singh :

Hello

Dr. Singh :

Yes, this can happen. Generally the fluid in this case would be blood, also called hemothorax. This generally happens when there is significant injury tot he thoracic cavity, and may involve rib fractures. Minor injuries are less likely to cause this. Other possibilities are pneumonia, heart disease etc.

Dr. Singh :

Let me know if you have more questions. Please click "accept" when done.

Customer:

Yes, but I eventually got pneumonia immediately afterward - like within a week's time. I fell pretty hard over a large railroad log at the apartment I live at. I basically fell and landed on the upper part of my body before the rest of my body went down.

Dr. Singh :

This may be incidental, if you did have pneumonia. Sometimes injury can cause lung contusion which can cause pain and fluid accumulation, and somewhat pneumonia like picture on X-rays, but other signs of infection are absent.

Dr. Singh :

So if your question is that you got pneumonia from the fall, that is less likely.

Customer:

Okay, that answers my question fully.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. Singh :

are welcomeyou