Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have donated blood plasma for many years, but this time, I

I have donated blood plasma for many years, but this time, I got a letter saying they had found white blood antibodies in my blood, and I couldn't donate anymore. They said antibodies are formed during pregnancy (I've been pregnant six times), or from a blood transfusion, which I've never had. However, this is the first time they've found these antibodies, and I haven't been pregnant in ten years. Could this be a symptom of something else, some kind of autoimmune response?

Hi--just to make sure here these were white cell antiboidies and not red cell antibodies and this time all you donated was plasma and not whole blood?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, they only detected white cell antibodies, and I only donated plasma. I have AB+ blood, so I have only donated plasma for years, and they've never mentioned antibodies before.

OK. Quite frankly I don't see how this could have been from previous pregnancies and only occurring now. And, in general, these antibodies are only seen in people who have had blood transfusions or are organ transplant recipients. Potentially this could indicate an autoimmune disorder like lupus so you need to be screened for that, but you should call the lab and get the exact antibody that was detected. I would also repeat the test, since this one time may just have been a laboratory error
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Dr. Chip:

FYI, in case this comes up again: I tested positive for HLA antibodies, which the blood bank said are normal for women who were pregnant. They have just started informing people about these and being more careful about using blood that has them. So I probably had them, but they just started letting people know. Thanks for your help!

Welcome--I somehow thought that might be the case so in a since it was the lab and not you