How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Su S Your Own Question
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 21024
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Su S is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have extreme pain that started in my left hip and extends

This answer was rated:

I have extreme pain that started in my left hip and extends down my theigh into the front of my leg. I have tried chiropractic and deep massage. The deep massage has left a
terrible bruise on my hip. I was told it is my (ittismus) that's the word I heard anyway.
A little muscle under the psoas muscle. It gets so painful I have to use a crutch to be able
to walk at times. What kind of doctor do I need to go to or what can I do for relief?
When did the symptoms start? Is there any other symptom? How is urine? Was any X-Ray, scan or other test done? Is there any other significant past illness?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had xray and mri the last of August and it was suggested surgery. I have degenerative disc and have had three back surgeries. I have a fusion at L5-6 (I think).The results of L4/5 and L5/S1 is moderately severe compromise of the left and right lateral recesses as well as the neural foramina at both of these levels. Bony hypertrophic changes, ligamentous thickening and lateralizing disc material likely results in bilateral L4, L5 and bilateral S1 symptoms. It should be noted, however, that disc material cannot be differentiated from scar tissue without the benefit of intravenous gadolinium. Could be further characterized with postcontrast sequences. The spinal canal does remain in excess of a centimeter at both of theses segments. Hope this helps

Thank you for the input.
You symptoms can be due to different causes. Arthritis of the Hip joint can be a possibility. Nerve impingement or muscle spasm can cause such pain. The possibility can be ureteric colic from stone lodged in the ureter. When you already have disc problem, nerve impingement needs to be considered. I would advise to consult an Orthopedic doctor. He would advise about further tests depending on clinical examination.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask and continue conversation by using REPLY button. This will help me to explain further & satisfy you. PLEASE DO NOT RATE MY ANSWER TILL YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE and rate it as EXCELLENT / GOOD SERVICE when you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been going to a neuro surgeon for all of my surgeries. Will he be able to help me on this one also? I brought it up to him when he talked about surgery and he just said (one thing at a time), but it has continued to get much worse.

Hello Barbara,
Your symptoms are related to bones, muscles and nerve. Neurosurgeon, spine specialist or orthopedic surgeon can deal with it. As the symptoms are worse, you can consult your neurosurgeon again to have an assessment. Or you can take an appointment with an orthopedic or a spine specialist.
Dr. Su S and other Health Specialists are ready to help you