Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Would not eating for a week and a half lower prealbumin

level?...
Would not eating for a week and a half lower prealbumin level?
10/8/2012
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Hello and thank you for your question.

The prealbumin level is a test often used to help monitor a patients nutritional status. Typically if a person did not eat for over 5 days there would begin to be a lower prealbumin level. Whether the prealbumin level was lowered due to eating for a week and 1/2 depends on whether or not the person was literally not eating at all. If they were taking protein supplementation, their prealbumin would not lower. Levels also can decline in patients that have certain cancers, cirrhosis of the liver, zinc deficiency and conditions that cause abnormal protein loss. Additionally, prednisone (a type of corticosteroid) and pregestational hormones can cause a rise in prealbumin levels.

I do not know if this answers your question, so please do reply if with more details if you have more questions about this topic. (Please do not rate my service until after I have had a chance to address all of your concerns about this topic)

Thank you, I'll look to see if you reply.
Would the level significantly decline if one ate absolutely nothing in that time frame?
typically it would decline unless they were on prednisone or hormones and they were not eating or getting supplementation of protein by central line or feeding tube.

In medicine though there can be exceptions.....one always has to look at the whole picture.

Also, if it did not lower, it would not necessarily be a bad thing. One test alone is not that significant. Is there a situation that you are concerned about with someone? Why are you particularly interested in this one test?
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Well i have an eating disorder and last time they check the prealbumin it was 20. So I was just wondering if the not eating caused that
Hi. Thanks for clarifying. Yes, the normal levels are (and this can vary slightly from lab to lab) Adults: 19.5-35.8 mg/dL (195-358 mg/L) . So you are def on the low side. And, absolutely not eating will cause it to be low.

Let me know if I can help you with this in any other way. I am happy to be of assistance.
Is there anyway to lower potassium levels overnight
Relist: Answer came too late.
RNMAD1
RNMAD1, Nurse (RN)
I will try to answer your last question directly and see if I can help.
Insulin administration decreases serum potassium levels within 15 minutes, with the effect peaking at approximately 60 minutes and lasting for 4 – 6 hours. The magnitude of the decrease is 0.5 – 1.0 mEq/L.
This of course should only be done under a doctors care but it is the only way I know of to reduce the potassium levels quickly.
Not eating can cause so many problems and it would be hard to tell from a lot of tests just what your levels are reacting to. A good diet is crucial to your overall health. Even struggling with a eating disorder you should make a concerted effort to eat.
I didnt try to give you a negative rating. I have fat fingers that bumped it
Ok, thank you very much for stating that you did not try to give me a negative rating. You should be able to correct it to a positive rating. If you can not figure out how to do it I will have the management fix it.
It will not let me
Ok, I am asking for it to be corrected. Thank you for trying. I am happy to assist you any time, but please either give me time to respond or start a new thread with a new question.(I see you wrote your question at 6 pm last night. IT is strange that I did not receive notification via email... or I would have responded earlier)

Hi, I hope we got this all sorted out. How are you? I explained the only way that I know of for lowering your potassium levels quickly. Did this help? If there is something else that you would like to know feel free to ask.

Please ACCEPT my answer and leave some GREAT feedback so I may receive credit for my time. Please don't leave negative feedback without giving me a chance to satisfy your questions.

Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)