Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK
19472044

Have a small light brown spot under the left side of my right

Have a small light brown spot under the left side of my right toenail. It has been there approximatley six weeks or so. Doesn't seem to be a bruise (not moving with growth of toenail or growing, but seems a bit lighter in color that at first). Question: Could it be a melanoma? I will be seeing my primary care doctor next week and will show it to her, but wanted your opinion. Thank you. JD in Richmond, VA

Dr. Nomi :

Hi

Dr. Nomi :

Can you please tell size of spot?(Approximately)

Dr. Nomi :

Is it has increased in size?

Customer:

Spot is appox. 1/4" long, even less in width. Has not increased in size. My concern is that it is under the nail.

Dr. Nomi :

Ok.How are its margins ?rough ,smooth ....?

Customer:

margin on left side ends vertically with edge of nail; on right, slightlycrescent shaped, not sharp

Dr. Nomi :

Apparently it looks like a simple nevus for which you need not to worry .However,melanomas can also grow at such places.Its good to have it checked.

Customer:

My big toenails have remained thickend somewhat following chemo nine years ago, so it could be from a bruise that I don't recall. I appreciate your input. Probably still need to see a dermatologist, right?

Dr. Nomi :

Yes ,in this regard its best to see a dermatologist.I do not think it is bruise .Nevi grow everywhere through out life .But differentiating feature is appearance ,color and growth rate of any spot which make it melanoma.

Customer:

I will show it to my primary care doctor next week, but really thank you again for the information.

Dr. Nomi :

Welcome.One eamination is mandatory.

Dr. Nomi :

Good Luck.But no worries okay.

Customer:

Okay. Thanks again. Bye. Joyce