Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My wife just pulled a grub-like worm out of a bump in her

My wife just pulled a grub-like worm out of a bump in her neck last week. it was about 1/2 inch long and the diameter of a pencil. The hole it exited was TINY and when it came out it didn't bleed or leave a larger wound. It was the SIZE of a large warble fly larvae, but not the same as it had a brown head and legs like a grub, and had only singular spots along its sides. Not like the rings of 'hooks' on a warble fly larvae. After she got it out, I took her to the emergency room, where they proceeded to embarras her by suggesting it was psychosis. Problem is, I saw it too. I watched her pull it out. How could this have happened? What coud it be? How do we know if there are more or not? If there ARE more, how do we get rid of them?
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Did you keep the worm?

Dr Brims :

Was there a wound at all?

JACUSTOMER-a4ss1gt8- :

Yes - We kept the worm... I took pictures of it - and took the worm with us to the hospital, which did us no good. So I took it to the Purdue University Agricultural extension on Friday - where a guy was out until today (Monday) and is going to identify it. I have not heard from them yet, but will follow up tomorrow.

It is obvious where it came out of that there has been something going on. it is almost 'smooth' or calloused where she pinched it so much. When she squeezes it very hard there is a small 'slit' about 1cm long (if that) - but it was expressing stuff the size of a pea over the summer (we think/thought it was a subaceous cyst) and the stuff comes out, and it just closes back up - almost like a 'lid' - it's almost as if the slit is the top to a small 'tunnel' that is so calloused and has been pinched so much that no blood goes through it.

Dr Brims :

Does she have any medical conditions or take any medication?

JACUSTOMER-a4ss1gt8- :

No medications - I believe she takes a thyroid pill, but that's it...

JACUSTOMER-a4ss1gt8- :

She's kind of having a nervous breakdown at this point, because she's obviously freaked out, and every tingle or itch she's not sure if it's another one. At the same time - we tried taking it to a medical professional (ER doctor) even though we don't have insurance, but she was just told she might have some kind of psychosis... He basically REFUSED to help, and refused to even poke around at it.

Other than this issue, she's completely normal... A little up tight, but we have 2 kids, so it's normal stuff.

Dr Brims :

I see, I really think you should allow a family physician to examine her, not an ER doctor, it is likely a worm infection , it could be hookworm

JACUSTOMER-a4ss1gt8- :

It was segmented, though, and much wider diameter than I've seen on pics of hookworms - plus head was different.

I guess my question is: assuming that whatever type of worm this is is some sort of 'garden variety' like a grub of some sort (it looks closest to a grub or a caterpillar) - Is it physically possible that somehow an egg or embryo or something got inside her skin and it gestated there?

Early this summer - May - she had a subacueous cyst, like I mentioned; and at one point, she had squeezed it and poked at it so much that it got really red, and scabby, and looked nasty. At that point, it WAS more or less an open wound. Could she have picked at it with an 'egg' or something on her fingernail, and inadvertently planted it?

I mean, right now we're basically being told that there's no way that this came out of her - that it's impossible. Could something this bizzarre even happen?

Also - I read about some stuff on line called 'humaworm' that is an herbal supplement that is supposed to rid your body of liver 'worms' of some sort - and their testimonials talk about people eliminating even other types of worms that had been in their system - Do you think that would help? or have you even heard of that stuff?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it is possible an egg got into her skin and gestated there, humana worm and all other non FDA approved drugs are dangerous and should be avoided, and they have not been proven to work

JACUSTOMER-a4ss1gt8- :

Ok - I'm going to call around to some dermatologists or something and see if anyone will take it seriously - While I do understand scientific method and lack of diagnosable evidence with the worm now on the outside; I also don't want to pay out of pocket to see someone who will just tell us there's no way anything like that could've happened. Obviously, she's very sensitive about it, because she doesn't want to be told she's crazy, and she's very image conscious anyway, and wouldn't make something like this up, as it's pretty gross.

Anyway - Thank you for your help.

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

I hope everything turn out well

Dr Brims :

turns*

Dr Brims :

Are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-a4ss1gt8- :

Yes - She was just squeezing somewhere else because she felt something... I looked very close and I didn't see anything... But yeah - I'll see if we can get her in somewhere to get checked out thoroughly. Thanks again.