911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

my son who is in his college studies (20 years) is having cough

my son who is in his college studies (20 years) is having cough problem particularly in the morning time. kindly suggest me some best cure for this.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

is he having fever?

911Doctor :

is anything coming up with the cough?

Customer:

no fever at all. mucous saliva is there and he is having slight irritation...

911Doctor :

how long has he had this cough?

Customer:

it is not continuous but some times he is having this problem....

911Doctor :

so three things need to be looked for. unfortunately, all three will require a visit with a physician. firstly, a sinus infection can produce a chronic cough, particularly in the morning and the evening. this requires antibiotics to clear. secondly, he could have a slight pneumonia, he needs to have a chest Xray and, if he does, he will also need a round of antibiotics to clear this. thirdly, he may have bronchitis, a mild inflammation of the airways. sometimes this is caused by asthma, sometimes by a virus or bacteria. getting the diagnosis right is crucial, which is why he should see a physician for a good exam and an Xray. standing by.

Customer:

thanks.. and please suggest me some healthy food and home made medicines (herbal) to have control over this. Please note that most of the days he leaves to college without taking breakfast and just ragi malt....

911Doctor :

many suggest honey mixed with the juice of a lemon and mixed with some nearly hot water as a good cough remedy. since I am not familiar with the foods in the UAE something with lots of vitamin C, citrus fruits, would be recommended by most. does this help?

Customer:

great..... please clarify me whether this can be cured? and is anything to worry about?...

911Doctor :

can't answer that without a some labs and an Xray. sounds like it's a benign, 'not dangerous', process, but that is why is suggeste a visit to the physiican just to be sure.

Customer:

thanks a lot...great day to you......