911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Have just received blood test results and these show I am

have just received blood test results and these show I am mildly anaemic and my ESP is high. What does this mean?
911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

do you mean "ESR"?

911Doctor :

mild anemia simply means that you have a slight decrease in the concentration of red blood cells in your bloodstream.

to learn about anmeia please click THIS LINK HERE from the Mayo clinic.

911Doctor :

a high ESR doesn't mean much... it is what we call a 'non specific marker', it can be elevated by anything that causes inflammation in the body... the flu, a cold, an infection.... your doctor had a reason for ordering it but having it come back high doesn't mean much to me as i don't know the totality of your medical problems or what he may have been looking for by ordering it.

911Doctor :

the issue now is to find out why you have a slight anemia and usually, USUALLY, this is because of iron deficiency. your doctor will confirm the cause and provide the treatment and you should be fine.

Customer:

Thanks. I have severe pain in my shoulders and lower back which Prednisolone did not improve.

911Doctor :

so that's why they ordered the ESR... to check to see if this might be related to arthritis or something similar. are you still having pain?

911Doctor :

are you there. do you have questions for me?

Customer:

yes but after a cortisone injection a week ago the right shoulder is much less painful and I have been doing various exercises which I was given to do 2 years ago when it was thought I had a trapped nerve in my lower spine. These exercises and a couple of 400mg ibuprofen daily seem to have dealt with the lower back pain. I am still taking the pregnisolone but on a phased withdrawal over two to three weeks. My concern was with the refrence to ESP. Comments on a web site suggested that this was synonymous with PSA and prostate cancer. I know the blood tests were intended to cover this as well but have no symptoms. merely a precaution due to my age.

911Doctor :

again, i am not familiar with an ESP test, I AM familiar with an ESR.

is it an ESR??

Customer:

I guess I mistook the word in the phone call.

911Doctor :

so again, and i'm very sure it was an ESR test.... by itself this test means next to nothing. it means that there is inflammation somewhere in your body. arthritis could elevate your ESR and prednisolone would make arthritis better, so this fits. doubtless your doctor has more testing and evaluating to do, but these results in the setting of your shoulder pain do not really give us an answer as to cause, but the ESR has no relation whatever to PSA and I would not think about cancer as being high on the list of possible problems with your based on what you have told me.

Customer:

Thanks. great service.

911Doctor :

you are most welcome.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Have just checked with the surgery-receptionist who apologised! She had misread ESR as ESP! Panic over. After her call, I had checked "ESP and Blood tests" on Google and was directed to a website where the discussion was centered around someone who had been told they had an "ESP" of 10 when the normal was 4 and that it was one of the indications of prostate cancer! I had heard of PSA in that respect but not ESP so was concerned that perhaps this was a new measure. In view of your comments I am not sure what the website could have been referring to, but obviously it is not relevant to me. It seems my PSA level was OK. Thank you for your help.

you are most welcome. God bless.