Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My niece, who is 8 years old, is suspected to be having

diptheria. The treatment started...
My niece, who is 8 years old, is suspected to be having diptheria. The treatment started at the only hospital which provides cure in New Delhi, India. The culture report is stated to come after a week. When I reached home at 0000 hours (just now) and enquired about her condition, I was told that after the treatment started, her condition turned bad for few minutes where she could not control herself of whatever the pain she suffered and vomited (perhaps due to the intake of medication). Now, i am told that she is resting.
Will it happen in such cases where the medicines react when they were injected initially?
Please tell me that she can get back to her daily routine...
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2012
RK
RK, Doctor
RK :

Customer:

hi sir, hope you had gone through my question

RK :

yes

RK :

what medication was given?

Customer:

i just enquired from my aunt with regard to her condition post my leaving the hospital. she said, for some time, it was critical where her eyes were giving up. Is that because of the medication being injected for the first time? One of eyes turned RED when i met her.

She was given the DTP at the right time according to her vaccination card. The docs (who are juniors) said, if immunization was given at the right time during childhood, then there can be chances of cure. They also said membrane got developed.

Customer:

before shifting to this hospital which only provides cure in the entire capital of india, the docs in another hospital said, that the stuff did not enter the blood and it would be the rright time to shift her to the proper hospital

Customer:

am calling them, and getting an aswer

RK :

I would like to know what medication was given?

Customer:

calling sir

RK :

I would also like to know what symptoms she has?

RK :

how was diphtheria diagnosed?

Customer:

can you please give me 5 minutes sir, it's already quarter past twelve

calling my brother in law to know the answers

RK :

OK i will wait. Till then I will answer questions from other customers

Customer:

docs said there is a white membrane existing on the tauncils, fever, they sent pas points cotton swab for culture report.

symptoms - fever and shivering

Customer:

shivering through bones

Customer:

fever followed shivering

Customer:

the medicine which is being currently administered is ADS

Customer:

they are suspecting diphtheria

RK :

You mean anti diphtheria serum?

Customer:

these junior docs in the government hospital, like they used to, initially said that the chances are 50-50... which shook the ground beneath the entire family

Customer:

ADS, oh, yes yes

Customer:

ADS along with sodium chlorite

Customer:

Sodium Chloride IV

RK :

ok

RK :

what would you like to know?

Customer:

the earlier doc who asked to shift her for getting this medicine said that the Red Eye is because of conjectivitis

Customer:

food intake is normal, she took the normal quantity in lunch today

Customer:

I do not know sir,

i am clueless,

i hope and pray that she can be cured

RK :

is diphtheria confirmed?

Customer:

suspecting

Customer:

because of the presence of the membrane on the tauncils they are suspecting diphtheria and said, the culture report is said to be available in about 14 days and till then they are giving the treatment for diphtheria

Customer:

Sir you there?

Customer:

i thought by rating bad, i would be diverted to get in touch with another doc. but just read the help section which shows that the doc might have to leave briefly..... my condition is so unstable as my sister-in-law died in a road accident few days back and now my nephew is hospitalized.... Please!

Customer:

niece*

Customer:

thanks for coming back sir

RK :

sorry got disconnected

Customer:

no worries sir

Customer:

hope all my questions were being shown in your window

RK :

but the bad rating could have been avoided

RK :

yes i can see the questions

RK :

is the diagnosis of diphtheria confirmed?

Customer:

i thought USD 30 wont be charged for me and that i could utilize for asking another doc

Customer:

for me it's 2 sleepless nights sir, do not know what am i doing, I can sincerely apologize

Customer:

just praying repeatedly to hear that she would be perfect after the treatment..

RK :

not an issue. At the end of the conversation you can click on excellent service and that will restore my positive ratings again

Customer:

yes, i saw that

RK :

was diphtheria confirmed?

Customer:

that's the difficulty.... they noticed the symptom of membrane being present on the tauncils, they sent the test for confirmation, in the meanwhile they are administering the ADs

Customer:

they said it is likely diptheria and started the treatment wthout wasting time.

Customer:

i have no answer apart from this :(

RK :

membrane on the tonsils can occur due to other conditions also and diphtheria is just one of the causes

Customer:

Can she be saved?

RK :

but they did the right thing by administering ADS

RK :

since the treatment has been started at the right time, the outcome is good

Customer:

at this age, being male, i had to weep repeatedly for 5 hours away from my family members, since, the first question she put to me is as to where is my daughter and why she didn't come, that shook me completely

Customer:

but sir, why she reacted in such a manner like, eyes twisted, vomiting and body shivering after the dosage started entering her body

is that common?

I again called and am being told that she is sleeping

RK :

the ADS is made from horse's serum. so sometimes it can cause allergic reaction

RK :

since she is sleeping now, that means she has been treated for that reaction and has recovered from that sudden reaction

Customer:

ahhh

RK :

so dont worry as she is getting the right treatment

Customer:

Thanks sir... how long will this treatment go sir?

RK :

ADS is given to neutralize the toxin before it starts damaging various parts. After that antibiotics are given for about 2 weeks.

Customer:

the scariest part is - i had a talk with one of the docs and they said the chances are 50-50. They said, if DTP immunization was not done earlier, the chances would turn rare, but also said even in this case it is done, but it is severe...

that's the most scariest part which we were and are being told.

Customer:

i understand... The only worrying factor, though the docs are giving the proper treatment, the way they told us that she could be saved or she could not. my sister was crying like hell as that's their only issue :(

RK :

is she having breathing difficulty?

Customer:

when we brought her, they gave her nebulizer

RK :

ok

Customer:

asking again

RK :

as long as she is not having breathing problem and as long as her heart is not affected a good outcome can be expected

RK :

since she is sleeping now, I presume she is not having serious complications

Customer:

if you don't mind, how will we come to know the condition of the heart?

Customer:

she is not having any breathing problems and is sleeping tight

RK :

heart rate and by hearing the heart sounds will give a clue and it is part of examination of all patients and her doctors would have done that

Customer:

ok. thanks for your time sir, am honored. i will take a 2 hour nap and will rush to the hospital again. its 1 am here already.

RK :

kindly leave a positive rating so that it can neutralize the bad rating you gave earlier

Customer:

as one last request, please pray for her speedy recovery sir. I will spend the next one hour or so praying

Customer:

rated Excellent!

RK :

I will surely pray for her.

Customer:

Honored!

Customer:

am out of this chat now, if you permit

RK :

yes, now you can leave this chat and rate it as excellent

RK
RK, Doctor

Sir,

Forgot to ask one thing.

The doctor who asked to shift her said, the membrane did not enter the blood till the afternoon, that is about 3-4 pm. And said tht's the right time to shift without delay...

Since the treatment is underway, hope there is nothing to be scared.

only if it spreads, it is a matter of concern.
Since she was shifted before that and was given ADS, a good outcome can be expected.
RK
RK
RK, Doctor