Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

What should be done with the following stats. blood pressure

what should be done with...
what should be done with the following stats.
blood pressure 154/133
pulse 122 per minute
9/10/2012
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Good morning.

A blood pressure of 154 over 133 and pulse of 122 is in the abnormal range. (abnormally high). Have you seen anyone about this before? Are you currently on any medication for your blood pressure and heart and if so have you taken your medication yet today?

If you have not already seen your physician for this problem, it is important that you do so.

A blood pressure with a diastolic of 133 is in the very severe range and you should either go to your doctors office or an urgent care clinic or ER if you do not already have medication to take for this.

I am here to provide you more information, but at this time, this is concerning and you should seek care. A list with 'normal and abnormal ranges can be found here for future reference: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/blood-pressure.14.pdf

But again, with your current reading it is important that you seek care now.

I am available if you have further questions, please reply with them, either now or later.

he went to the hospital and they gave him intravenous fluids and antibiotics as he had temp of 36 and headache, they sent him home with antibiotics persription and also diarohea tablets.

He was on no heart tablets.

Is this blood pressure reading from when he was in the hospital or a new reading from when he has come home?

in hospital

The blood pressure and pulse will go up with fever and stress.

If the underlying problem is that he has an infection and his temperature was elevated, then the treatment would be to replace fluids, start the antibiotics, and rest.

At the ER, it would be important to check the blood pressure again and see what the blood pressure was before he left. The doctor would want the blood pressure to be lower before discharging the patient to the home.

Are you able to check the blood pressure, pulse, (and temperature) now?

When was the patient told to follow up with their doctor?
In order to know what should be done now, it would be important to know the current vital signs.

Regarding the blood pressure and pulse reading from the ER visit: whether or not this was an initial blood pressure and pulse on arrival in the ER or whether it is the blood pressure immediately after getting the IV fluids (this can elevate the blood pressure temporarily) are influencing factors that make a difference in the treatment.

I think it was the initial blood pressure, the temp of 36 is Celsius ( I am in Australia). That is the only reading I have been given. and I know he had respitary rate of 24 per minute with saturation of 99%. This I have no clue on what it means.

I forgot to mention that he hadn't eaten for 24 hours and just slept.

He was told that they will call if the blood tests came back with anything.

He passed away 8 hours later of heart failure, I have just been given the autopsy report that the cause was myocarditis.

I am so sorry to hear all this. I though with the initial question, that this was a current person.

Myocarditis is of course a serious situation needed intensive care and monitoring.

I am so sorry for your loss.

A temp of 36 is very low (96.8) which means that either it was a very poor reading (taken from the mouth when a person is mouth breathing, just had a cool drink), or the person has severe circulatory problems (which when the cause, means that there is a cardiovascular problem). It would have been important to retake the temperature in order to get a correct one, such as via an ear thermometer, or to take the temp. rectally. If the temp was still this low after double checking it... this too points to a serious problem.

The blood pressure, pulse, and temperature are all abnormal and it would have been important to do further evaluation to determine what was causing this.

Since I don't have all the details, I can not say definitively what they should or should not have done, but if his vital signs had not changed, then he should not have been discharged until they either returned to normal, or they did more evaluation and found the serious underlying problem.

So typically, with this presentation one would continue to periodically evaluate the vital signs, and if they were not improving, then further diagnostic testing was needed.

Let me know if there is any thing that I can further assist you with.

My family and I are just trying to work out what happened, and always thought why did they send him home so soon.

I will try and get his full record from the hospital showing all the results and especially the last reading before the sent him home.

Is there anything else I should ask for or talk too to get answers.

I would just ask for the records at this time and not ask too many questions otherwise they may get defensive and not release everything (although that should not happen). I am not sure what the laws are in Australia, but in the US one does have a right to records. If you think that you are going to want to pursue this legally, you may even want to speak to an attorney and have them request the records.

We do have a legal advice section here at JustAnswer and I believe we have some Australian attorneys, if you get to the point where you have some legal questions, they may be able to provide you some direction.
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)