Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I was driving last night and something flew in front of my

I was driving last night and something brown flew in front of my truck lights. I continued to drive 15-20 mins home. When I got out I didn't notice anything on the front of the Yukon, but this morning I went out and bent in front of it to see. I didn't even think about bats or rabies until my husband mentioned it.
If I hit a bat could this be a means of transmission; either touching or breathing near the car?
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

The transmission of the rabies virus would require penetration of skin or mucus membranes.

Anthony Bray MD :

The situation that you describe doe NOT sound that it would be POSSIBLE to cause the transmission of this virus....

Anthony Bray MD :

Animal transmissions would most typically be related to a bite....

Customer:

Hi. Thx. I don't know very much about the disease (obviously). However I did not touch the truck last night and I did bend down in front this morning. I still don't believe I touched it. I am recovering from hand, foot, and mouth disease (courtesy of my children) so I do have a couple blisters on my arms and hands. Does this virus live long outside of the host?

Anthony Bray MD :

No it would not survive long outside the host...

Customer:

So in all likely hood it would have dried etc by the time I got home?

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that you should be perfectkly safe from your description of the situation. If you had actually handled a bat with cuts on your hands then I would be a bit worried....

Anthony Bray MD :

Right it is not known to have airborne transmission.....

Customer:

Okay. I appreciate your time in answering my questions.

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!