Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

About a week ago, I lost my appetite for a couple of days

and started having mucus come...
About a week ago, I lost my appetite for a couple of days and started having mucus come out of my butt when I tried to go to the bathroom. I have since re-gained my appetite, but continue to have mucus - sometimes with stool, but mostly without. I feel like I need to go to the bathroom, but I'm starting to feel a little constipated. This morning, I begun having some pains in what feels like my ovaries area. Any insight to what it could be...I live in Africa right now and don't have access to a physician until next week when I come home.
9/1/2012
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Greetings.

How severe is your pain in abdomen?
Any significant past medical history or surgery?
Do you have bloating, gas, tenderness on abdomen, nausea, vomiting?

What was the cause assigned for the diarrhea and bleeding on colonoscopy?

Dr. Arun

Not sever pain at all...I really don't have any abdomen pain - just a small pain this morning to what feels like my ovaries - so I'm not even sure if that's related. And that pain is gone now.

About a year ago, I had diahrrea with blood in my stools and they had me do a colonoscopy, but it came out normal.

I do get a lot of bloating, especially now. I have had lots of bloating for years along with tenderness of abdomen (although it's not really tender now). No vomiting - occasional nausea.

Mucus is the normal secretion of the large intestines (colon). It helps in the smooth movement of the stool. An irritation of the colon can cause the discharge of the mucus. This irritation can occur due to various causes like;

1) infection
2) parasite infestation
3) anxiety
4) irritable bowel syndrome.
5) Food irritants like spicy food or chillies etc.

A mild grade infection may be a possibility with your history of loss of appetite few days ago and now mucus discharge. Following are likely to help;

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage
b) Beer
c) Legumes
d) Cheese
e) Beans

2) This may help;

a) Bismuth subsalicylate
b) Activated charcoal
c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.
d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to breakdown certain complex carbohydrates.

All are available without prescription.

Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains, artificial sweeteners etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.

Discontinue the following if you do them;

1) gum chewing,
2) smoking,
3) drinking carbonated beverages, and
4) gulping food and liquids.
5) avoid chillies and spicy food.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

How long do you anticipate this should go on for?

I typically find that if I eat foods with a lot of fiber, ie. fruits and vegetables I feel better - with me living in a 3rd world country, it's been harder to get, so I feel my stomach is having a harder time here - and then this happened.

I agree with cheese and dairy and I do have limited amounts of that, very limited beer, beans I have no trouble with.

So, I guess my question is what do I do if it doesn't get better - how do I know if it's an infection - or will that be able to clear up on it's own? I do not have access to the recommended things you mentioned.

Thanks!

You are very welcome.

A moderate to severe symptoms or newer symptoms (abdominal cramps, diarrhea, tenderness on abdomen) would point that it is a significant infection and you may need a course of antibiotic. A mild grade symptoms are likely to resolve spontaneously (on its own). Meanwhile a food diary would help to point to the items which are irritants.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)