Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Chest Heaviness, Pain in Head, And Tiredness. What's Wrong?

I have been feeling tired...

I have been feeling tired, heaviness in my chest, sometimes feel confused and late has been forgetting what I did or gotta do. A year ago, I did loss my only child in an auto accident. He was 20. I am in a bad marriage where I am often verbally abuse. Im an only child and have a sick mother. I am 40. About 2 months ago, I was in walmart and got a sharp pain in the back of my head. My vision went blurr and ever since than, I havent felt the same. What could be going on?

9/1/2012
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)

You have experienced a great level of difficulty ,stress and suffering in your life and that could certainly affect you emotionally and physically . In your case , what you should do is consult a doctor , preferably an Internal Medicine Specialist first . The first step would be to determine if what you have been feeling is caused by an organic condition including :

1- A heart condition like inadequate heart blood flow ( associated to the presence of clots or cholesterol ) , heart disease or the presence of an irregular heart electrical activity . This to evaluate the chest heavy feeling ,fatigue and tiredness.

2-Brain masses ( blurred vision, confusion and memory problems )

3- Irregular electrolyte blood levels( confusion and memory problems )

4-Neurological disease ( forgetting things , blurred vision and headaches )

5-Irregular glucose blood levels ( blurred vision by retinal damage , headaches and fatigue or tiredness)

6- Abnormal or irregular thyroid blood levels ( fatigue )

7-The sharp pain at the back of your head could be attributed to different problems , some of them benign , like migraines , cluster or tension headaches and some of them more serious like brain blood flow obstruction , increased brain fluid , enlarged brain blood vessels, arteriovenous malformation , brain blood vessel inflammation or high blood pressure .

8-Medication side effects

9- Inadequate nutrition specially low B 12 vitamin levels ( confusion , nerve damage ,blurred vision and fatigue )

10- High blood pressure ( headaches )

11- Optic Nerve Inflammation( blurred vision)

12- Glaucoma ( increased internal eye pressure ) ( blurred vision )

Your doctor will need to perform several tests including : a chest X-rays , ECG , heart enzyme blood levels, head CT Scan or MRI , vitamin B12 levels , nerve conduction tests , glucose blood levels , thyroid blood levels , a neurological examination and a complete physical examination ( including your eyes , your heart and your lungs) .

With these tests , your doctor will determine if any of these conditions is producing your symptoms so you can receive an appropriate treatment .

If this is not physical and all the tests are completely normal, your doctor will need to refer you to a psychologist or psychiatrist to determine if all these symptoms are caused by an emotional or psychological condition like depression , stress or anxiety . In the somatization process , you body interprets the sadness , depression , anxiety you are feeling and converts them into physical symptoms . In that case , they will treat you with psychotherapy sessions to determine what deep emotional issue could be affecting you to this point so you can manage those issues in a proper way so they do not affect your entire life .

If the symptoms persist after receiving psychotherapy , your doctor will prescribe you anxiolytic or antidepressant medications to control your symptoms combined with psychotherapy sessions.

Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Dr. German
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)