Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

I got bitten by my budgie and very small drop of blood came

Hi
I got bitten by my budgie and very small drop of blood came out. Do i have to take some precaution and go to see a doctor? Thanks!
Hello JACustomer,

I am sorry to hear you were bitten by your bird. Birds do not carry rabies, so you do not need to worry about that. The description you gave of it; a very small puncture (not deep and not large) is reassuring; it does not seem at all as if it needs medical help to close (puncture wounds should not be sutured anyhow). I like that you washed it and put antiseptic cream on it.

The only thing I suggest is that if you have not had a tetanus booster shot within the past five years, (five as you have been potentially exposed via the birds bite) you should truly get a re vaccination.

Keep the finger clean and dry, and monitor its healing. If it shows signs of becoming infected...red, swollen, warm, pus drainage, or most threatening, a red line streaking from the wound, that would be a sure sign that oral antibiotics are needed.

Some information from the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-animal-bites/FA00044

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It's not even visible and it's very small and does not hurt at all. Do you think i still need a shot?

Hello JACustomer,

It did break the skin and it did bleed. Based on that, a booster is recommended. But, your own doctor would know you far better than I would; he or she might say its not needed. But from what you write, I would take a booster if I were you. Tetnaus is a lousy thing to have and its truly preventable.

I hope that helped,
Sincerely,
Susan