Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

I am so frightfully embarrassed. At the end of my period,

I am so frightfully embarrassed. At the end of my period, which was TWO WEEKS ago, I must have left a tampon in. Did not realize, did not feel it. My husband and I even had sex many times and did not realize. A few days ago, I noticed an odor, then a slight itch, which is unusual for me. I made a dr. appt., which is tomorrow. Yesterday, the tampon finally came out in the toilet after urination. It's a day later, and things are better. Itch is gone. Odor is less. I can't believe I did this. Is it definite that there will be infection or is it possible that this will resolve itself.
Hello JACustomer,

I hope I can help you here. Please don't be embarrassed, you are not at all the first person to have done that. It is not an uncommon question, actually.

I am happy you have a doctors appointment for tomorrow; retained tampons can be incredible vectors of infection. Online, its impossible to state whether or not you will or will not have an infection, but from what you have written I can take a educated guess.

You state the odor is less and the itching has stopped. That there is telling me that maybe things are starting to try to get back to normal. But I cant state that as a certainty, though. I do think you should keep your appointment, because some vaginal infections can be serious if not treated correctly.

I hope I was able to help, and I wish you the best,
Sincerely,
Susan