Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am a multiple myeloma patient with leukopenia and

Good morning,
I am a multiple myeloma patient with leukopenia and neutropenia. I took 8 days of 500 mg of Levaquin for pyelonephritis. My last dose was on the 23rd of July. I began feeling symptoms of a urinary tract infection on the 30th again. I went to the doctor and a urinalysis was done with urine culture but there was no growth. However, the urinalysis showed bacteria 2+. Two additional urinalysis have been done this week with both showing bacteria 1+. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I was feeling very sick. Yesterday, I began to feel better but still feel discomfort and pain when I urinate. I also have mild lower back pain and bloating.
I am concerned that there may be a residual infection and I may need to continue taking antibiotics. I should be receiving results from a second urine culture on Monday. I was prescribed 500 mg of Levaquin again and told that if I continue to feel sick to take them. I am reluctant to do so since the last time I took Levaquin I ended up in the ER twice due to hyponatremia.
Is it possible there still may be a persistent infection? Would it be a significant risk to see if my compromised immune system may be able to fight this infection?
Respectfully,
Elena

I am sorry about your persistent medical issue.

With all of your symptoms and since your urine has shown presence of bacteria; there is a likelihood of persistence of infection. You need an antibiotic as your body immunity may not be able to take care of it. You should take Levaquin, till your culture report comes, which may show another antibiotic sensitive to the causative organisms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.