How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 29180
Experience:  MD
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Treatment for pulmonary fibrosis

This answer was rated:

Treatment for pulmonary fibrosis
The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Thanks for your question.
If you have not responded to the N acetyl cystein, there is another medication called Pirfenidone.
Pirfenidone is an anti fibrotic agent that will prevent the fibrosis in the lungs. Pirfenidone is used at 40 mg/kg bodyweight daily.
The results are encouraging.
Besides pirfenidone, no other medication is recommended as benefits are not proven.
Please discuss with your lung specialist.
Best wishes,
Dr Basu and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I asked my rx about
pitfenidone and they had no record of this drug
Please advise. Thanks
The spelling is PIRFENIDONE.
This is currently available in Europe, Japan, India and China.
THis is not still available in US yet.
But, this is in phase III clinical trials meaning approval is on the cards soon.
You can go to this website for more information on how to procure this drug in the US.
You need a prescription from your doctor.