Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

I drank one small margarita at 9pm Tuesday. And submitted a

Customer Question

I drank one small margarita at 9pm Tuesday. And submitted a urine sample for etg at 930 am.. Will I pass? I just had one drink. Plse help I need answer asap.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

The ETG test is very sensitive for detecting alcohol in urine and even small amounts will produce a positive test. It also has chances for a false positive result as alcohol present in hand sanitizers, antiperspirant, aftershave and even hair spray can give a positive result.

So, chances are fairly good that you may turn out to be positive.

Any more question, feel free to ask.

Please remember to rate me excellent service to give credit for my answer and time.

IF you feel the need to rate negatively and have additional questions, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION or REPLY TO EXPERT button . I would be happy to answer all your questions till you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I heard detection time for etg and one drink is 12 hrs so I should be ok. Your answer was normaland stated no facts!
that is true What I mean i that the test is sensitive and non specific, meaning that it can even give you a positive result if you are not actually drinking alcohol in the last 12 hrs but you had accidentally used too much of body spray on yourself.

Here is a link that supports what I have just stated. You will get information from this

article.

However, you can still pass the test as one small drink of margarita would be surely metabolized in 12 hours and flushed out from the body.

Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I am writing because I have some different information. Passing your test depends on how much alcohol was in your margarita. People metabolize or get rid of alcohol at different rates, but "as a rule of thumb, a person will eliminate one average drink or .5 oz (15 ml) of alcohol per hour". So, one drink that had a normal size shot should be out of a normal size person with a normal metabolism in an hour.

So, unless your drink was of huge proportions, I think you will pass your test. I cant make any promises, you understand, but based on what you write, which is all I have to go by, it seems logical that you would.

My reference is here, and is a web site for a drug testing company. Look under the section that says "Elimination" though I quoted the sentence that applies: http://www.intox.com/t-Physiology.aspx

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One
Small margarita at 9Pm. Etg test next day at 930.. What's the chances of me passing? Say yes or no plse.. Or give a percentage.
HelloCustomer

I think the chances of you passing are very GOOD. The test is 12 hours from when you drank the drink; it takes an hour for the body to eliminate one average drink. So, by 12 hours, assuming you had NO other alcoholic drinks, the drink you had should be cleared out of your body. I think, but of course can not promise, that you will pass. Id bet that you will pass this test at a high percentage. I cant promise, but I sincerely ***** ***** will. Assuming you only had that one drink and no other alcohol.

I hope that helps,
Sincerely,
Susan

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two starts on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" button. Let me know the issue you have and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today.

Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand.. But it's an etg test.. Will the one drink be out my system by then? Even for an etg?
HelloCustomer

Though the ETG test itself can be unreliable in rare circumstances, your metabolism is not, assuming you are a normal healthy person. So, by 12 hours, your body will have rid itself of that one drink you have had. If that was the ONLY alcohol there was, I do not see how that test could come back positive.

If there was other sources of alcohol, then it may be different, but even then 12 hours is a long time and I don't think (but cant state anything online with surety) you will be positive. Just make sure your morning mouthwash has no alcohol in it. Avoid hand sanitizers that have alcohol (ethanol).

I hope that helped ease your anxiety,
Sincerely,
Susan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thx your being very helpful and I'm ready to give you a good rating.. Just one more thing yes it was just one drink.. So I should be fine? Are you real? If so I appreciate your help. Just hope this isn't fake.. So plse tell me again I will be fine for an "etg" after one drink and 11-12 hrs.. And this was the only beverage I've had in over a month.. Thx
HelloCustomer

Yes. I am real. I know that because two objects can not occupy the same space at the same time, and although my cats try to do so, they always fail. (smiles) So, on that basis I am pretty certain I am real. I also know the old saying "I think, therefore I am".

I really think you will be fine, given what you've written. I only cant state 100% because its online and no one online can do that. I think your anxiety is causing more stress and problems than the test will.

I thank you so very much for your kind words, by the way.
I wish you well, and with you success...and not good luck cause I do not think you will need it cause I think you will be fine in all seriousness.

Sincerely,
Susan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much. I'm just very nervous and anxious bc I read so many different posts ab this and everyone says something different.. But I assume those people hve had more than one margarita.. It's the "etg" in specific that scares me.. I will take your advice tho bc you are a professional and others seen to be just guessing.. Thanks again. Hopefully I will be ok.
HelloCustomer

I understand your anxiety and the test can be crappy. But given what you have told me, you cleared that margarita from your system about two hours after you drank it and you've had no other exposure to alcohol since. I hope it was phenomenally delicious, as its causing you so much worry now!

You are very welcome.
Sincerely,
Susan
HelloCustomer

I want to write to quantify some of what I wrote. Because of your anxiety, I did some double checking...and some studies say that the EtG can detect the metabolite for up to a few days to 24 hours, some say up to six hours. I still think its most probable that you will be negative, given the small amount you drank and the vagueness of the studies...but I did want to add that additional detail.

It is 2am where I am in NY. I am off for the evening...but any follow up you write I will see when I return to the site tomorrow.

Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thx. I'm sorry this anxiety is killing me.. So many different things online. I hope I'm ok. If find out any info or get input from other professionals like yourself would be appreciated. Thx again for your help.
HelloCustomer

Sorry it took so long to respond! I woke up with a dreadful cold and feel lousy. I will ask some Experts I know to look at this thread and weigh in if they wish, with their opinion/ view, etc...even though you've already taken the test.

Please let me know what happened.
Sincerely,
Susan
(PS: you will be charged for every positive answer you rate, so ONLY rate when you are ready to pay, but even after you rate an answer the chat can continue )
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I failed
HelloCustomer

I am so terribly sorry to hear that, and rather surprised as well. I had fully thought you would pass. My sincere condolences.

Sincerely,
Susan