How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 32280
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I continually suffer from itchy spots on my scalp mainly at

This answer was rated:

I continually suffer from itchy spots on my scalp mainly at the back of the head and within the hair line. They seem to randomly come and go. I have had this now for at least a year.

Can you describe what the spots look like?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They are red, not too itchy, only if I scratch them. Sometimes when I feel them I sense just a small scab or hard bit of skin at the head of the spot. I haven't detected any discharge or smell from them. If I scratch them too much they get a little painful
no problem with the skin anywhere else?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not especially. But I do notice occasionally just the odd similar spot on my chest that eventually will go away and then return in the same place after a while. I do suffer from dry skin and use E45 cream but only on my face
OK--your doctor hasn't said what he thought these were?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He didn't say specifically what they were and just prescribed shampoo medication. He suggested that they were associated with dry skin.
One shampoo he prescribed called Nizoral made the situation undoubtedly worse. The coal tar shampoos do seem to ease it a bit but don't clear it up altogether.
OK. This sounds like either inflammatory eczema or psoriasis. Cortisone or tretinoin cream might help, but if it's psoriasis, it would best respond to methotrexate or UV light therapy. At this point, it would be best for you to see a dermatologist for a diagnosis and treatment.
Dr. Chip and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you