Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I was taken to the emergency room yesterday with severe

I was taken to the emergency room yesterday with severe pelvic pain and was bleeding heavily all day. I had a known fibroid that has been monitored for the past few years, but its size (about as big as a lemon) hasn't changed. In the emergency room last night they did a sonogram and found I had a fibroid that is 9X8X8 cm. The report says it is a "markedly hetergeneous myoma, obliterating the endometrial stripe". What does this mean? I am 46 years old and was told the fibroid would shrink, instead it increased significantly. What are my options of treatment at this point? Any thoughts on the sudden growth & severe pain/bleeding?
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

The "markedly hetergeneous myoma, obliterating the endometrial stripe"...This means that the fibroid has infiltrated the uterine cavity. This does not indicate cancer but the sudden increase is size and the onset of pain and bleeding makes me tell you that you need a biopsy of the fibroid to exclude tissue change.

You should also get the fibroid surgically removed. Please talk with the obs and gynae doctor for this.

Any more question, feel free to ask.

Please remember to rate me excellent service to give credit for my answer and time.

IF you feel the need to rate negatively and have additional questions, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION or REPLY TO EXPERT button . I would be happy to answer all your questions till you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. When you say to get a biopsy of the fibroid to "exclude tissue change", what does that mean?
To put it straight, I mean that the biopsy will tell you if there is any cancer development in the fibroid. This is uncommon but the fibroid obliterating the endometrial stripe is suspicious.However, this can be confirmed only by a needle biopsy test which is mandatory and done for all tissues with suspicious origin.