Dr. B Young
Dr. B Young, Pharmacist
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy
66235745

I have poison ivy under my breast. It is very red and has a

I have poison ivy under my breast. It is very red and has a puffy area around the red area.... cellulitis probably. Can I wait until morning to see a doctor?
Dr. B Young :

I would like to help.

Dr. B Young :

When did these symptoms start?

Dr. B Young :

Hello. Are you here?

Customer:

yes... I am here

Customer:

Should I reask my question?

Dr. B Young :

No need, I see it. Can you tell me when you were exposed to poison ivy?

Customer:

Sunday, I think. The part under my breast is very large and very red... appears to have puffiness around the top of the red area.

Dr. B Young :

Is the skin broken anywhere?

Customer:

I wonder if it is cellulitis and can wait for me to see a doctor tomorrow

Dr. B Young :

You are probably OK waiting until morning.

Dr. B Young :

There are a few "red flags" you should look for, though.

Dr. B Young :

If your skin is broken, or you are bleeding, and the redness starts to spread.

Dr. B Young :

Or if you develop a fever. These are reasons you would want to go in sooner.

Dr. B Young :

You are doing the right thing using calamine lotion. Triple antibiotic is probably not necessary.

Dr. B Young :

Because of the location of the rash, I would encourage you to be seen sooner than later. The area under the breast is a good growing environment for fungal infections. If that is the case you will need prescription medication.

Customer:

It was... but I don't think so now... I saw a tinge of blood Mon.... oh forgot ... when I first realized I had poison ivy I used clorox to rub on the area... my breast rests on my skin so it wasn't getting air...

Dr. B Young :

When you say clorox, do you mean the household cleaner?

Customer:

so the puffy area that is not red doesn't indicate cellulitis?

Dr. B Young :

It may be cellulitis. It is hard to say without seeing it. Waiting until tomorrow morning will be OK to get it checked out in my opinion. From what you've said, it does not seem like a serious case. For tonight, I recommend only using calamine lotion and no other products.

Customer:

yes clorox...the household cleaner... I use it as soon as I realize I have poison ivy... if I do it soon enough it stops it...

Dr. B Young :

After a rash appears, I would strongly suggest not using Clorox. It can be harsh on skin and could increase the risk of breaking the skin and getting a more serious infection.

Customer:

thanks! :)

Dr. B Young :

Does that answer your question?

Customer: