Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years
13500761

Hi there, I had swollen glands and tonsils for about 5

Customer Question

Hi there,

I had swollen glands and tonsils for about 5 days. The swelling has subsided, and I feel a lot better, but I noticed that a have a dark red sore on my right tonsil that makes it burn when I swallow. It feels like a canker sore would, and the rest of my throat is still a bit irritated as well. (Drinking even water, gatorade, or soup all burn rather than hurt. I can still sort of feel some pressure in my right ear but it is not what I consider an ache.

Is this sore something I should be concerned with? What can I do to get this thing to heal up?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info

How long have you had this sore?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I notice the sore about the same time I was feeling ill. So, 5-7 days. It wasnt bothering me before, and I was recently at the dentist and he didnt notice anything.

My symptoms were:
-swollen tonsils and glands
-a bit of cold sweats
-sore and irritated throat
-weakness
-small pressure in right ear
Like I said, I am feeling better overall, but this canker-like sore seems to be the source of the pain when swallowing.
I have a photo if that helps.
I do not think you should be overly concerned as it is probably just what you described it as- a canker sore. Canker sores are white or yellow and surrounded by a bright red area.
They may occur with viral infections.
Symptoms may include:

If you have a canker sore, you should not eat hot or spicy foods, which can cause pain. Mild, over-the-counter mouth washes or salt water may help. There are over-the-counter medicines that soothe the painful area. These medicines are applied directly to the sore area of the mouth.

The easiest home remedy is a mixture of half hydrogen peroxide and half water. Use a cotton swab to apply the mixture directly to the canker sore. Then, dab a small amount of Milk of Magnesia on the canker sore, three to four times a day. This is soothing and may also help it heal.

Another home remedy is to mix half Milk of Magnesia and half Benadryl liquid allergy medicine. Swish this mixture in your mouth for about 1 minute, then spit it out

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The photo is from this morning.
I apologize, I misread your initial post, and thought it was a white blister. Has it changed in appearance at all since you first noticed it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has not changed and the pain/burning sensation has gotten a lot better over the past few days.
You have an ulcer in your mouth. Ulcers can be caused by inflammation or infection. Mouthwashes and sprays may lessen the oral discomfort. Fluids are also suggested to prevent dehydration, however, acidic juices may irritate the mouth ulcers. Cold milk may sooth the oral discomfort.

The ulcer should heal within a week or two. And you shouldn't worry, as ulcers are very common and aren't serious.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks doc! Youve saved me a lot of anxiety.
No problem. Best of luck!
Please click on ACCEPT so that I get answer credit