Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Folks 4 days ago I had a skin puncture biopsy done on my left

Folks 4 days ago I had a skin puncture biopsy done on my left ankle to assess what appeared to be a dark bloodied area on my ankle about 1/2" in diameter... Had this for at least 8/10 years, didnt hurt appeared to grow in size a little, really not certain.. The purpose was for the biopsy is/was purely precautionary in nature... Dont have the biopsy results yet but my question/concern is that the doctor who stitched up the biopsy hole appears to have done a fine job but the sutures ahve been leaking fluids (mostly clear to off brown) consistently since the biopsy, enough so that I cannot keep enough gauze or band aids on to keep socks/shoes dry... Sutures are to be removed in a couple of days but I'm wondering if that should take place???? As well what is all the fluid leakage from??? At night when I'm horizontal (sleeping) the leakage all but stops untill I get up and start moving around...

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

The location of the biopsy makes it prone for more fluid exudation when you walk.

mysticdoc :

The walking and standing cause pooling of the blood at the ankles causing more leakage.

mysticdoc :

The leakage of the fluid is the filtered plasma ( a blood component) from the small blood vessels at the area.

mysticdoc :

This is part of normal healing process.

mysticdoc :

As long as the skin is aproximated and closed together, the sutures can be removed after 2 days.

mysticdoc :

To reduce the fluid you can use epsom salt which absorbs the fluid.

mysticdoc :

Also there is a special kind of dressing material called Calcium aalginate dressing.

mysticdoc :

Calcium alginate dressing materials can soak lot of fluid and often the leakage stops on using for few days.

mysticdoc :

Hence, you can try this.

mysticdoc :

This is not concerning.

mysticdoc :

You can expect good healing within a week.

mysticdoc :

If there is redness, pain or swelling, then suspect infection which needs antibiotic.

mysticdoc :

But currently you do not need to worry without these symptoms.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :

Please rate Good or Excellent Service, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question , so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Customer:
mysticdoc :

Please reply again-- I am not able to see your reply

Customer:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Answer was a good one....More or less what had thought but was pleased to be re-asssured...Thanks Mark
Very welcome
Best wishes