Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I had sex with my husband yesterday and had a dark/

I had sex with my husband yesterday and had a dark/brown discharge...it went away a few hours later, but i realized it came back today. I had a normal period on July 16th, so its been 11 days. Never had anything like this happen before, so I'm just curious what it could mean??
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.
How much is the discharge?Do you remember having brown spotting at around the time of ovulation? Any odor? Any history of Stds or other genital infection?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've never had any discharge around my ovulation time...my husband and i have been ttc for about 4 months so I have been trying to pay attention to my ovulation...this is the first time this has happened. There is no noticeable odor, and i have never had any stds or infection. In terms of the amount...im not sure how to measure it, but its noticeable when I use toilet paper and in my underwear (super embarrassing )
Thank your for the information.
I can certainly understand your concern,,,, especially when you notice it for the first time.
Based on your description, it seems like you do not have any other associated symptoms or history of Std's or any other genital infection. I just wanted to let you know that occasional brown spotting may not be of that concern, but if you see it repeatedly in successive cycles or you develop pain, odor, urinary symptoms etc,, then assessment is necessary. Some of the common causes of brown discharge would be ovulation, trauma caused by sexual activity, infection, Stds, tumor etc. Since this is your first incident and is not associated with odor/ pain,,, there is a good chance that it could be from sexual trauma or just ovulation. You can keep eye on it, if you don't see any recovery or you develop pain/odor/urogenital symptoms in couple of days, then you must visit your doctor for proper evaluation. In the meantime avoid further trauma in that area.
Please let me know if you have any other question for me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I just had a quick question about the trauma...If it had only been yesterday, that would make sense, but because it came back today for no reason, would that be residual or more likely ovulation?
it is possible to have residual blood that you see as a brown color. In traumatic cases, you may see blood same day or within couple of days... In most cases, it will subside on its own and would not last for longer duration. Thus, if you see brown spotting for longer duration, then in person evaluation will be required.