Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My mom had a blood vessel burst in her right arm. It looks

like a bruise so I...
My mom had a blood vessel burst in her right arm. It looks like a bruise so I can tell the blood is pooling underneath the skin. It happened sometime last night and she realized it when she woke up this morning. Yesterday evening she complained of numbness in her arm and today she said her arm is still sore. I know she takes potassium pills, and blood pressure meds. Should she seek emergency services right away. I am worried because she doesn't want to go the doctor, if I had the solid advice of a doctor or nurse I would make the executive decision for her. Her stats are 52 about 125 lbs.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/11/2012
RK
RK, Doctor
RK :

Hi

Customer:

Hello

RK :

is right arm the only place where you see the bruise?

Customer:

Yes right in the fold of the arm

RK :

blood in urine/stool or bleeding gums?

Customer:

No I don't think so but she is complaining of dizziness

RK :

is she on any blood thinning medications?

Customer:

no just blood pressure medicine

Customer:

and potassium pills regularly

RK :

why on potassium pills?

Customer:

Doc put her on them everytime she has a regular appt they say her levels are low

RK :

was any test done to know why her potassium is always low?

RK :

what BP medication is she on?

Customer:

BP meds tekturna only test for potassium is the one that determines the levels

RK :

what is the BP now?

Customer:

Reading 116/84

RK :

Okay that is normal

RK :

her low potassium could be due to tekturna

RK :

any recent injury or insect bite?

Customer:

No

Customer:

stress lately

Customer:

and a headache

RK :

the bruise like thing as you rightly pointed out may be due to pooling of blood underneath the skin

RK :

and it is spontaneous without any risk factor

RK :

in this case the coagulation profile test should be done

RK :

there is no need to take her to ER

RK :

you can consult her doctor regarding this test

Customer:

Ok Thank You so much! Will do first thing in the morning.

RK :

did I answer all your questions?

Customer:

Just want to double check make sure I got all your info. Blood vessel burst in right arm, numbness and a bruise, no other symptoms than headache, slight dizziness. No bleeding gums or blood in stools. No ER neccessary, we can wait to consult our family physician tommorow and reccomend a coagulation test?

RK :

since when is she having headache? vomiting?

Customer:

Headache all day, she complains it's more in the frontal lobe. No vomiting

RK :

any weakness in her limbs?

RK :

just ask her to hold your fingers tight and you just pull it and see if it is tight and lax

Customer:

Not really weakness, ache in the arm with the bust vessel. She described it as remniscant of a tooth ache

Customer:

she had a tight grip when I did that test

RK :

good

RK :

as I said earlier no ER visit necessary

RK :

you can take her to the doctor in the morning

Customer:

Ok Thank You! Again you have been really helpful. I will be taking her first thing in the morning.

RK :

If you are satisfied with my answer kindly rate it

Customer:

I will. Thanks. Have a good night.

RK
RK, Doctor
RK
RK
RK, Doctor