You mentioned about the possibility of fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition, which may have following of the manifestations;
1) widespread muscle pain, "myalgia,"
2) excessive tenderness in many areas of the body
4) sleep disturbances,
6) mood disturbances, such as depression and anxiety.
Laboratory studies and investigative work up like following are done to help rule out diseases with similar manifestations and to assist in diagnosis of certain inflammatory diseases that frequently coexist with fibromyalgia;
1) Complete blood cell (CBC) count and differential count,
2) Basic metabolic panel,
4) Thyroid-stimulating hormone: Hypothyroidism has many similar clinical features with fibromyalgia, especially diffuse muscle pain and fatigue.
5) Creatinine phosphokinase (CPK) to rule out inflammatory myopathies
6) Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)
7) Antinuclear antibodies (ANAs): Many patients with SLE have comorbid fibromyalgia.
8) Rheumatoid factor
9) Sleep studies
With your vastly distributed symptoms, polyneuropathy should be ruled out. Following investigations should be done by your primary care physician;
1) Electromyography/nerve conduction studies (EMG/NCS)
2) MRI of the spine and brain
3) blood glucose, glucose tolerance test and glycosylated hemoglobin
4) serum B12 level with methylmalonic acid (with or without homocysteine),
5) serum protein electrophoresis
6) Anti-nuclear antibody
7) Lyme testing
8) Rheumatoid factor
9) Sjogren's syndrome testing (Anti-Ro, Anti-La Antibodies)
This should give the diagnosis and guidelines for the management.
Following are the causes of polyneuropathy (many times cause is not known);
2) An underactive thyroid gland
3) Excessive use of alcohol
4) Thiamine deficiency
5) Vitamin B 12 deficiency (pernicious anemia)
6) Vitamin B 6 (pyridoxine) taken in excessive amounts
7) Drugs, medications, herbs
8) Autoimmune diseases
9) Heavy metals such as lead and mercury.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. Please note you are rating my help and not the web site or the solution; only my help. If you feel the need to rate negatively, please stop and reply to me via the Reply To Expert or Continue Conversation button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.