Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I'm 20 years and had my last monthly period on 3rd or 4th

Customer Question
Sir, I'm 20 years and...
Sir, I'm 20 years and had my last monthly period on 3rd or 4th june, 2012. The dates might vary. It lasted till 7th june, 2012. I usually have my monthly period for 5-7days. I spent a night with my boyfriend on 23rd-24th june, 2012, we had some physical closeness that night but there was no entry of the penis. But I doubt that his pre ejaculation/ejaculation might have got in contact with my vulva somehow. The duration between 2 monthly period varies around 28 days to 1 month or sometimes its even earlier like 2-5 days. I started bleeding on 27th june, 2012. On the first day my lower abdomen pained (it normally pains on my 1st day of MP). On the 2nd day the bleeding was heavy while on 3rd day it was very very less (I normally bleed heavily on the 2nd day) On the 3rd day it was comparatively lesser than the last month's 3rd day of MP. 4th day I bleeded only once like just before urinating. Is it my normal monthly period or is it a kind of implantation spotting? I don't want to get pregnant so early. I'm really tensed. Please tell me is it possible to get pregnant? Also please do tell me when will be the right time for me to get a home pregnancy test?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
7/1/2012
Health Professional: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD) replied 5 years ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Welcome and thank you for the question.
This sounds like a normal period and not implantation bleeding. Implantation bleeding is usually very minimal - just spotting or pinkish discharge. Since the bleeding on your second day was quite heavy, this cannot be implantation bleeding.
And even if fertilization had occurred, which seems unlikely, the heavy bleeding would have prevented implantation.
Please relax - it is very unlikely that you are pregnaant.
I hope this helps.
If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!
Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate negatively, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION or REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Thanks for the response.. I would like to mention that there was no bleeding yesterday(4th day) and even today except a slight stain once just when I tried to stop myself from urinating..yesterday's was normal red and today's in the morning was very very very light red. The rest time of the day I dont bleed at all. Also my periods are never this short, it usually lasts for 5 to 7 days.. Could spotting happen on the 4th or 5th day? Could I still be normal?
also please tell me for how long can an ovum and a sperm survive inside the body? Can fertilization occur during the late luteal phase? What are the possible chances of pregnancy during the beginning and ending of the menstruation cycle? I want to do the home pregnancy test for the peace of my mind. When do you think in my case would be the right time to go for it? Because I dont know if my periods are still going on or its just a spotting.. Why since yesterday does the light stain come out only just before urinating once a day like if I try to hold it for sometime? I went through the net, I found a few people having spotting and menstruation at the same time. I'm more worried about my short period :-( Also please do suggest me about which test should I go for and the cost of the test..

Thanking You
The bleeding during a period can vary from cycle to cycle, especially if you are under stress - which you are now. Sometimes one day of heavy bleeding is cycle is similar to r the entire amount of bleeding in other cycles.
An ovum can be fertilized for only 24-36 hours after ovulation and a sperm can fertilize for only 48-72 hours after ejaculation, although it can survive for up to 7 days in the reproductive tract.
A pregnancy test after 3 weeks of the day of sexual intercourse will be positive if a pregnancy has occurred.
Any pregnancy test will do - in the USA, it costs about $1 in a dollar store but not more than $5 in other medical stores. In India, it will cost less than Rs 100.
I hope this helps.
The doctor skipped so many questions..answered inaccurately..didnt get all my answers!
l
Health Professional: Nurse72, Nurse (RN) replied 5 years ago
Nurse72
Nurse72, Nurse (RN)
Hello, thank you for your question. I agree that this was more than likely not an implantation bleed and actually your period. You can do a pregnancy test to confirm this as early as one week after the sexual encounter. Pregnancy occurring from this type of sexual contact is unlikely. Did you have any further questions I can answer?
Relist: Answer quality.
I want to know in details
What information did you need details about?
Looking at the dates of your cycle, your most recent cycle was only 3 days early and you mention that this happens sometimes in your cycles. Implantation bleeding is usually more like spotting and not a heavy flow like what you describe. If you are concerned about pregnancy which I think is highly unlikely you should have a blood pregnancy test done. This can be done at any time at this point to rule out pregnancy. If a pregnancy implanted then you would be showing a positive result. the implantation process causes the body to produce the hormone hcg which is what causes a positive pregnancy test.
Relist: Other.
Ya implantation bleeding is not heavy, I got it that I had heavy bleeding on the 2nd day...but i also mentioned that it was just a little like one or 2 drops on the 4th, 5th day.. and it was very light coloured. Even today is happening. One of my queries was is implantation bleeding possible on 4th and 5th day? and kindly please read the consecutive replies by me after my question. also i would like the answer from a gynaecology doctor please
Health Professional: Dr. Tim, MD, Board-Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board-Certified MD
Hello, I would be please to try and clarify your situation for you. I am a board-certified OB/GYN. I will summarize what you described:

You are a 20 year old with regular cycles every 23-28 days (sometimes 2-5 days early) who had intercourse on cycle day#21 and day#22, and there was no vaginal penetration. Also, your most recent cycle started on cycle day#25, but it was different in that it was shorter, and the bleeding on the later days was lighter than normal or expected for you.

I hope that I got this about right - you will have to correct me if I am wrong. In answer to your questions:

1. It is virtually impossible for you to be pregnant from this months activity
2. Most women are fertile on cycle day #14 (+/- 7 days in your case given the history of slight cycle irregularity)
3. Not only were you sexually active a solid week after when you likely ovulated, you did not report any vaginal penetration
4. While implantation bleeding is often lighter than what you describe, I would not rule out a pregnancy based solely on the presumption that "this is too heavy for implantation bleeding".

Since this was last viewed, I imagine that you have gotten a pregnancy test. My recommendation would be to do it now and repeat it in a week. If both remain negative then you are not pregnant.

With regard to your cycle, it is uncertain why it behaved so differently. If you had been seen in my clinic, we would likely just observe for now. It is just different sometimes, and might vary depending on whether it is a shorter or longer cycle. Now, if it was a repetitive story of abnormal bleeding, then there might be a need to explore things further.

I hope this helps. If it does, please ACCEPT Dr. Tim's answer! Please make sure you ACCEPT the correct response so that someone else does not get credit for my answer. If you need additional clarification, please ask!! Good luck!
Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD
Dr. Tim, MD, Board-Certified MD