How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 31166
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi i am looking for a unbiased pharmacist opinion. I suffered

Customer Question

hi i am looking for a unbiased pharmacist opinion. I suffered 6 broken vertebrae over 2 years ago. I was on high dose oxycontin and oxy IR for breaktrhrough. I quit them 1 year ago but im not able to work. Id like to go back on the meds because i was able to function daily routines and hopefullly i can get enough relieve to get back to work with the opiods. I know its addictive and a taboo but i feel that its necessary to get back to normal life. Id like an answer from a pro. my email is [email protected] dot com
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.

We can't use e mail here, but I'd like to help. It's just that I'm not sure about what your question is?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi i saw you cant email can anyone call me. my cell is 508 330 2349
you can call collect if thats an issue
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Sorry again, but we can only converse on this page and no other way. Can you tell me what your question is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well my question is basically i have permanant cronic low-mid back
pain keeping me from working due to 6 broken vertebrae next to my spinal cord. I am a pharmacist that was on high dose
opiods that really helped but my doc stopped prescribing them
since im just 30. Its been a year since ive taken them and im basically
bed ridden since. I think i need to go back on them but no md
will prescribe since im young and think im drug seeking however
it did help tremendously. Pain specialist doubt my pain as well
so i believe if im on them again I can work and get back to
a normal life. I know they are addictive but surgery isnt possible
and rehab does not help. I live in mass and really dont know
how to get help or find a doc to take me seriously..
any thoughts??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Are you saying you've seen a pain specialist? Have you had a recent MRI and been evaluated by a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitiation MD?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes ive had several mri's and ct scan. ive flattened L3,4 and 5 as well as T12 T 3,4.
The MRI's have not changed since early 2010 and ive seen pysiatrists, bone experts and numerous ortho surgeons,neurologists and pain clinic md's. Ive had pysical therapy, tens units and nerve blocks.Taken neurontin,lyrica muscle relaxers, anything you can think of.Most of the MDs say its not that bad and just deal with it.
Only the opiods helped.Im really at a loss of options. Do
MD's prescribe online. I believe I have the mri/ct scan on cd's somewhere but i dunno if that can me emailed.
I had a great 6 figure salary and desperately want that back... Anything you can think of will be helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
So with all that, a pain medicine specialist won't write you for opiates?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope he wont. The only pain specialist nearby is one MD who frankly is quite rude and inconsiderate. Hes the only doc in the clinic. Im not physically able to drive an hour or two to maybe find another clinic. What would you do if you're 30 and just out of blue have to be bed ridden and forced to give up on being an MD. Is there anyway to contact my primary MD or order online if thats even legal.
I know he has pages of mri's and reports to confirm my injury?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, but for a licensed US physician to give an opiate prescription to an unseen patient, even with all your documentation, would put that license in jeopardy from the medical board and a possible malpractice suit, it actually would be a felony for me to do it and for your to receive the medications--a felony on both our parts. While I sympathize with your situation, the only sensible thing for you to do is to find a pain management specialist that will write the scripts for you. I don't think you won't be able to find one, but, of course, you'll have to have someone else drive you to the appointment.