Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
19863579

White spot on the roof of the mouth

Hi I have a white spot on the roof of my mouth near the back it is quite small and I feel no pain from it at all I only realized it was there because I felt it with my tongue in worried about it only because it does not hurt as if it hurt I could say oh it's an ulcer, do you have any ideas I'm really worried, I went to the doctor but he didn't really seem to take much time to look at it and said that I'm probably not having enough vitimin c and said it was an ulcer but it don't hurt so it can't be, can it?
Dr. David :

Hello, I would like to help you with your question concerning a white spot on the roof of your mouth near the back. You are correct, if it is not painful then it is probably not an ulcer. Sometimes there can be a gland or benign growth on the roof of the mouth that is considered insignificant because it does not indicate any pathology. If you could post a photo, I would be happy to take a look at it. Dr. David

JACUSTOMER-yk9n6ue2- : Hi I don't no how to post a picture on this site.
Dr. David :

OK. First you need to take a few pictures and then upload them to your computer. Then you can click on the symbol shown above the chat box that looks like a paperclip. You will then have the opportunity to browse for the images and upload them to the chat room.

<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

oh yes sorry i was using my phone that had no paper clip here is a picture

not sure if it has worked will try again

(Image not shown for privacy)

im browsing thru and find the picture but the ok tab won't work to upload the picture

got it at last i hope this is ok

Also i should add i was very stupid about a month ago and had unprotected sex including oral, i dunno if this could be a symptom of any std i have no other signs, i got tested a few weeks after but i no that this was probably to soon to get a proper result. Herpes spots would hurt wouldn't they? I also read that Syphlis can leave a spot that does not hurt but all the pictures i have seen don't look like my spot.

Dr. David :

Thank you for the photo! It looks like a small bony growth from the hard palate. If it just feels like a painless lump when you run your tongue over it, then this is the most likely possibility. You can keep an eye on it if you like, but I imagine that it will not change much over time. It does not look like an STD at all. Herpes would definitely have a sensation to it, and it would appear on the lips as a blister filled with yellow fluid. A spot from syphilis will look much different than this. If you are not having any other symptoms, then I think that you have nothing to be concerned about.

Customer: That's fantastic you have put my mind at ease for now I'm sure my anxiety will get the best of me again, right up untill I can get tested in 5 months anyway
Dr. David :

No worries. It was a pleasure chatting with you. I'm sure that all of your tests will come back negative. I wish you the best!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi since I last spoke to you I have developed what look like 3 ulcers on the inside lip I still have the one on my roof of the mouth I'm now freaking out thinking its HIV I spoke to the gum clinic where I was tested and I was told that the results came back negitive but I had the test done 2 weeks after unprotected sex when I mentioned this thay said that the testing they do these days give results quicker so the results are Likly to be accurat is this true.
Hello again, thank you for the follow-up information.
I would like to assure you that mouth ulcers are not an early symptom of HIV. It is extremely unlikely that you have contracted HIV after one episode of unprotected sex.
For HIV testing, it is generally advised to wait about three months after the episode before getting testing.
In all seriousness, I think that you have nothing to be worried about though.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's great thank you, ***** ***** weeks have been long enough to give a positive reading for all other stds? Im really sorry as I said befor I'm a worrier I can't wait till I can get tested properly and leave all this behind me. I have heard that its not good if you have a few ulcers in your mouth as its a sign of something else going on is that right? What could it be?
two weeks is sufficient time for testing all of the other STDs. Please don't spend the next 10 weeks worrying about the HIV test, I am very sure that it will come back negative.
Mouth ulcers are a very common symptom and do not indicate any particular disease process. Usually they are related to dietary factors. For example, food additives, excessive intake of wheat and dairy, acidic/sour foods, and citrus fruits have been associated with the presence of mouth ulcers. Sometimes toothpastes containing "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate" (SLS) can contribute to mouth ulcers. Some people get mouth ulcers after they quit smoking.
Mouth ulcers often resolve on their own after a few days.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That is fantastic thank you again so much. I will try to leave you alone now.
Every time I notice something different on me at the moment I think the worse and hit the search engines and that makes it worse.
You are welcome. I wish you the best. Take care!