Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Our 2 year-old child is affraid of passing stools. It

Hi our 2 year-old child...
Hi our 2 year-old child is affraid of passing stools. It started from an over-reaction from granny. We've made progress though .. me and my wife congratulate her now when she evacuates. She was constipated for a while .. now it's ok.
I think we will give her every morning from now on a very small quantity of a mix done for myself by my nutritionnist to make sure she doesn't suffer from constipation again : Wheat bran+some oat bran+some chia seeds
Any other recommendations?
Thanks a lot
6/17/2012
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

I'd suggest probiotics, fresh leafy green veggies, some coconut milk and prune juice in addition to what you're doing now.

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Sorry--I'll be happy to continue but could you tell me what more information I could give you?
Relist: Other.
I'd like another answer thanks
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
HelloCustomer

I would like to try and help here, but I need some more information. I am not sure what you mean by "it started by an over reaction from granny". Did the childs grandmother frighten her somehow or some way? What was the situation? You say she is not now constipated...how often does she have a bowel movement and is there any pain when she does? Does she go when she needs to or does she hold it?

Thank you so much for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Thanks yes she holds it because there was pain she was saying my butt hurts. A hugely large stool finally had passed through. Probably a small hemorroid formed. And also the psychological factor (she thought at first that it was bad what she did)
She has a movement close to everyday
HelloCustomer

Thanks for clarifying...that poor child. Just so I am clear, you are asking for tips and more information on constipation and suggestions so that she does not become constipated again? Her stools are soft now and she goes without pain?

Thanks again for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
HelloCustomer

I am pretty certain of what you are asking, and I hope I can help and explain constipation and bowel movements a bit here. I feel sorry for your daughters pain; its so hard to explain things to children who lack the words to understand. I am actually rather impressed by you, you potentially avoided quite a disaster with your daughter. Its great you worked to ease her fear and tell her she was not bad. If she did have a hemorrhoid and it bled, maybe the blood scared her as well. Though a hard feces can scrape and cause some bleeding also...it may not have been a hemorrhoid.

Young children sometimes hold their bowels for many reasons, including that of constipation as in your daughters case. It hurts, so the two year olds logic is simply not to do what causes pain. However, prolonged withholding of bowels can create not only constipation, but stretch the intestines until they lose the ability to contract and the nerves that tell the brain there is a need to defaecate can be damaged. In this scenario there is also the potential for an impact; feces that becomes rock hard and can not be passed. Soft watery stool can flow around the obstruction, resulting in some fecal incontinence. The medical term for this is called encopresis and that is the disaster you averted with your quick response to your daughters constipation (even though it takes quite a while for things to get THAT bad) Impactions can be potentially fatal if they break or rupture the intestinal wall.

So, what causes constipation in the first place? Stools that don't have enough liquid and don't have enough bulk or fiber. Constipation can also be caused by some intestinal problems; if the intestines are not working fast enough to move stool along, fluids will be absorbed from them and they will become hard. I am guessing though that this is not the case with your daughter as she is now having bowel movements each day.

To create softer stools, add fluids, add fibers to the diet. Increase the water in her diet if you can. Prune juice will also help, but many kids wont appreciate the taste. Beans, broccoli, apples with the skin, all those have fiber in them. The seed mixture you got from your nutritionist also seems to be working and high in fibers. Another thing you can do is add some mineral oil ...like a teaspoon a day. It can be mixed with juice as it tastes pretty nasty. A caveat with that mineral oil though: it can tend to wash out some of the fat soluble vitamins when it is evacuated with the stool.

Everyones bowel pattern differs...whats normal for one is not normal for another. Daily bowel movements are not mandatory. Signs of constipation can include crankiness, abdominal pain, days without a BM, poor appetite.

Here is general information on children's constipation. It includes advice like increasing fluids, fiber, and some advice on safe stool softeners.;..but do discuss with your grandsons pediatrician any such additives prior to use on a child. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/toddler-constipation

And here is an excellent handout on children's constipation.
I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan

Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)