Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My husband has a huge lump on the side of his face not on

My husband has a huge lump on the side of his face not on his neck but on his jaw. He's had it for a couple of yrs. It doesn't hurt. But it has grown. He has mo medical insurance so he won't go to docs. Do we have to worry?
mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

This is likely benign given no change in last 2 yrs.

mysticdoc :

This can be a bone cyst or from the underlying muscle.

mysticdoc :

But still, a clinical evaluation is warranted to make sure this is benign.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer: Thanku, I feel much better. Have a great day! Oh, is there anyway to bring the bump down?
mysticdoc :

no this cannot be treated without surgery.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT button and leave a POSITIVE FEEDBACK, if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please ask for Mysticdoc for your future questions.

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!

This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Would you be able to provide a photograph of the involved area? You may use the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form toolbar to upload a digital picture. Alternatively, you may send your picture to a photo hosting site, such as Flickr or Photobucket, and provide a link to the picture in a reply to this information request. This will allow me to provide a more accurate and relevant response...
It is important for you to note that the previous expert mistakenly inferred that the swelling had not changed in the past two years. The fact that "it has grown" as you have previously stated, leaves open a wide variety of different diagnoses; some of these are relatively trivial (for example, a salivary gland cyst), and some that are not (salivary gland, bone, lymphatic, or other malignancy). Because the significance of your husband's swelling cannot be assumed, it would be best if, despite his lack of insurance, he submitted for at least a diagnostic session with either an oral surgeon or ENT/head and neck surgeon. A conservative needle biopsy would not be too financially burdensome, and would in any case be far less devastating than a missed opportunity to treat a serious disease. This will provide him with the information he needs to make treatment decisions in an informed way.

Hope this helps...