How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris C. Your Own Question
Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1081
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Chris C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a hernia (inguinal) that was discovered during the

Customer Question

I have a hernia (inguinal) that was discovered during the course of a occupational/job physical. This condition is now preventing me from going to work and earning a pretty good living. Unfortunately, due to being unemployed the last nine months I have no insurance and very limited cash to deal with this. Do you know of any doctors in the Baton Rouge or Lafayette areas of Louisiana who would perform this surgery on monthly payment terms? How much should the "total/all inclusive" cost be including doctor, facility charge anesthesia, etc.? It is possible that I may be able to come up with $1,000-$1,200 for a down payment. After receiving a medical release I should be able to pay everything within six month after surgery.
I would appreciate your guidance.
Thank You
Dennis Leger
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 5 years ago.
Hello JA customer, I am happy to help you today.

You can go to a LOW COST HEALTH FACILITY like community center in your locality which offers treatment at nominal rates.

Here is a link for such a facility where you can contact easily over phone and discuss the
pricing etc.

I hope my answer is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This looks like a "minimal effort" quick answer. After calling the list provided in your link, none of them can do what I need. My understanding is that some doctors/hospitals/surgical facilities will work with patients on financial arrangements. I don't mind paying for this service; unfortunately I don't have the finances right now, but will after going to work, which requires this condition being fixed first.

I was hoping for better/more specific information matching my situation. Will have to figure this out for myself?

Thank You,
Dennis Leger
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 5 years ago.
Hello again Dennis. I was waiting to hear from you so that I could give further input on this.

In response to you question regarding cost, the amount varies slightly with laparoscopy and open repair and amounts to approximately 6, 100 in a low cost facility.

However, whether you could make the payment in installments has to be discussed with the center.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Bora:

Thus far the information you provided is either useless or something I already knew. I welcome you to try further. Otherwise I'm sorry this didn't work our either of us.

Dennis Leger
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 5 years ago.
If all my information is useless, I guess you should consult some other expert.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Refer to my correspondence with your expert.
Expert:  Camille-Moderator replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Expert:  Chris C. replied 5 years ago.
Ok let me see if I can provide some assistance. The total cost of the procedure, etc will vary greatly so I cannot comment on that. Given your situation what you need to find out is who participates in the Hill-Burton Act. What happens is that many hospitals will depending on your ability to pay give FREE care and totally write off a bill in order to get matching funds into facility construction funds, etc. Here is a link to the original Hill-Burton Act: You will have to contact some of the local hospitals and ask if they participate in the Hill-Burton process (although they may call it other things like sliding scale. etc). Below is a link to various hospitals in your area although it may not be all of them. You will also want to check out the community clinics and ask them about the act I stated. If you just call the facilities and say you want to make payment arrangements most likely the answer will be NO.

This is a list of Hill-Burton facilities:

You should be able to find the care you need using this information. I hope I have answered your questions. If you need further clarification I would be happy to provide it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You may cancel this question.

I appreciate the other experts jumping to help. However, by the time I saw these responses I had already figured it out on my own. This is not the first time one of your "experts" has talked to me (via email) in a condesending manner like Dr. Bora in this exchange. This is no place for inflated EGOs.

Thank You,
Dennis Leger
Expert:  Chris C. replied 5 years ago.
I hope you get the care you need.