Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

The Dr. who read my MRI reported my "having a possible tiny

The Dr. who read my MRI reported my "having a possible tiny undersurface oblique tear of the body and posterior horn of the lateral meniscus"
What does this mean?
Is surgery likely to be needed?
Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Are you having any problems such as pain, difficulty walking and doing activities?

Dr. Owen :

A tear in the posterior lateral horn of the meniscus is a tear on the outside portion of the back of the knee.

Dr. Owen :

If surgery is done, this is usually a fairly easy procedure and done with a small scope.

Customer:

Intermittent pain, not severe, scale 3, pain comes from twisting and seems to be come from both sides of knee.

Dr. Owen :

This is more than likely coming from this small meniscal tear - which is the cartilage that separates the tibia and femur (lower and upper) bones.

Dr. Owen :

A scope procedure should be able to help you and this is a same day procedure.

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

Please click on ACCEPT

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Thank you

Customer:

Thanks -- I am cyclist and have backed off my riding substantially. Was riding 100 - 150 miles/wk.

Dr. Owen :

Yes, you might benefit from having the surgery so this doesn't complicate you cycling

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

Please click on ACCEPT,

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

Thanks - how do you think cycling would affect this injury prior to surgery? I was riding 100 - 150 miles per wk. and have basically quit riding. At times would get low level pain that would go away when continued riding, sometimes o painWas getting low level pain sometimes and sometimes not -- seemed to be

Dr. Owen :

Cycling can further increase the size of the tear.