Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Its only been 6 days since my tympanoplasty and

its only been 6 days since my tympanoplasty and mastoidectomy. My hearing loss in the affected ear is probably 80% by my estimate. any chance i will hear better as the middle ear heals? and if so how long is typical?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 5 years ago.
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Was the hearing loss 80% prior to surgery?

Customer:

No minimal loss according to two different audiologists weeks before surgery. now i am almost completely deaf except for lower frequencies. hoping i'll get some hearing back as it heals.

Dr Brims :

Okay, so the hearing loss occurred after the surgery?

Customer:

left ear that is. right ear still fine. yes, after surgery

Dr Brims :

Okay, then there is a strong possibility that your hearing will improve over the next few weeks

Customer:

god i hope so. i'n not real confident though. didn't expect this much loss. my doctor took my ear bones out and cleaned them before reinserting. he also said he rebuilt the anvil which i guess is analogous to the ear drum.

Dr Brims :

Well I wish you all the best in your recovery

Customer:

thanks.