How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Shah Your Own Question
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 3898
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Shah is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi, I was playing basketball a received a hard elbow above

Customer Question


I was playing basketball a received a hard elbow above my genital area. There is a big lump above my genital area. I noticed my penis shast, but not the head of my penis is all black and blue. I did have sex on the same night with a condom.

Can either of those cause a black and blue all over the shaft.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.
Do you also have swelling in scrotal area? Any pain or redness? Does it feel warm to touch? Difficulty in urination or blood in urine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no swelling redness or pain, but there is a big lump between my penis area and stomach where i was elbowed. No urination pain or blood. the area where i was elblowed is very sore and hurt when i touch it.

I was basically elbowed where my pubic hair is below my stomach
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.
Based on your description, you seem to have black and blue penile shaft and a bump in your pubic area. Since you developed these symptoms after a traumatic injury, there is a good chance that you have developed hematoma which can present like that. If you noticed black and blue penis after sexual intercourse, then it could be a case of penile fracture which can present like this and must be treated immediately. Overall, I see the urgent need for medical evaluation to manage this case. You will have to visit ER for proper evaluation and management of this case. I know this is not what you want to hear, but this something that needs urgent evaluation to rule out fracture that needs urgent treatment. If fracture is ruled out, then other causes such as hematoma, soft tissues injuries can be manged appropriately.

Please let me know if you have any other question.
Dr. Shah and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the comments. I didnt feel a pop or even feel pain during any sexual experience. The penis does not hurt at all, and i have had sex since then without any pain. Woldnt that rule out a fracture.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
If you are able do all these without any pain and discomfort, then fracture is less likely. In that case, it could be just a soft tissue injury leading to all those symptoms. A direct blow in that area can certainly cause localized tissue injury. BTW, how big is the bump in pubic area? How does it feel like? Can you move it around or reduce its size?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the bump is about the size of a quarter, but it is sensitive to touch around that area. the weird thing is that i didnt even notice the black and blue until i went to an endocrinologist for a different issue and he felt my testicles and noticed it. He just asked me how i got the hematoma and i said i dont know, i didnt even know i had it. I assume he would have brought up penal fracture?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
This is a small hematoma, most people recover from it gradually with conservative measures. You can expect it to go away in the next several weeks. For the pain and discomfort, you can take OTC Tylenol, and continue with rest/ice, and avoid further trauma in that area. It is good to know that you were evaluated by a physician, in that case fracture is less likely otherwise he/she might have send you to ER for proper treatment.

Take care