Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

What is the cause and what is the best treatment for

what is the cause and what is the best treatment for fibromyalgia?
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. I am sorry to know about your problem.
The exact cause of fibromyalgia is not known. However, it is believed that fibromyalgia could be linked to the following factors: genetics, exposure to infection, and physical/psychological trauma. In most cases, self care and medications are needed to manage fibromyalgia symptoms. Some of the medications that are used for fibromyalgia are: pain meds such as Advil/Tylenol, anti-depressant meds such as cymbalta. Even Lyrica has been used to treat fibromyalgia symptoms and is FDA approved for use in fibromyalgia. Combining medication with psychotherapy is also beneficial. Depending upon the severity of symptoms, you can just manage it with OTC pain meds, if that is not helpful you may proceed with cymbalta or lyrica. Response to the treatment may vary from person to person, so it is important to try a few of these meds to know which one is better for you.
Please let me know if you have any other question.