Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Why do I get a bad taste in mouth when coughing?

I am coughing and have a bad taste in my mouth, what could it be?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 5 years ago.

I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Since how long you have this bad taste in mouth?

Are you taking any medications?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I've had it for 2 days. I am not taking anything for it.

Bad Taste in mouth is medically known as ‘Dysgeusia'. This is not serious but is of concern. It can be due to following causes: Dental caries (Foul Taste), Oral infections like gingivitis or periodontitis -Throat infections -Fluctuation in hormone especially estrogen levels, Poor oral hygiene. As you have bad taste in mouth along with cough, so throat infection or oral infection seems to be the most probable cause. You need cough suppressants also called anti-tussives. Dextromethorphan, Diphenhydramine, codeine are the common ones. Other cough suppressants include simple linctus, glycerin and lemon and honey, which coat and soothe the back of the throat. If still the symptoms persists, then you need to consult your doctor for clinical examination & antibiotics may be prescribed accordingly.

Hope this helped. Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have. Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. Do you think it is just a cold?

Yes, this can be due to cold/flu. It is caused by viral infection. Infection caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications. I am happy to answer your follow up question. If the symptoms persists even after 7 days, then you need to consult your doctor as antibiotics may then be prescribed accordingly. Hope this helped. My main motive is your satisfaction. If you still have any questions in mind, please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do I need to stay away from people so they don't catch this?

Influenza, commonly known as "the flu," is a highly contagious viral infection of the respiratory tract. Although you are not having fever, but still you are contagious till your symptoms gets resolved, that is usually one week from the start of symptoms. You are contagious 1 day before symptoms begin through to approximately 5 days after illness onset. So its better to stay away from people so that don't catch the infection. Hope this helped. My main motive is your satisfaction. If you still have any questions in mind, please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did have a fever yesterday of 102.7. You have been a great help, thank you.

As you had fever yesterday, this further enhances the probable cause of your symptoms to be an infection. Keep an eye of observation. Just wait & watch your symptoms for next few days. Infection caused by a virus generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications. So you need to stay away from people so that they don't catch the infection. Hope this helped. My main motive is your satisfaction. If you still have any questions in mind, please feel free to ask.

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Following are the most common causes of coughing and post nasal drip;

1) Acid reflux

2) Post nasal drip

3) Sinusitis.

For treating sinusitis and postansal drip naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.