Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have had osteoporosis for years. I am 85 years old. The

Customer Question

I have had osteoporosis for years. I am 85 years old. The rheumatologist said my recent DEXA showed further bone deterioration and recommended Prolia, a 2x year injection OR Forteo, a daily injection. Would you recommend either one and how would you compare the effectiveness of each in decreasing further deterioration of bones and effectiveness in building bones? Are they more effective than Evista?
Also I have read that milk is acidic and leaches calcium from bones. Is this true? Should one go milk free? Dairy free, including yogurt, cheese, butter, whey? Would almond milk, rice milk, coconut milk, soy milk also be acidic? What about other acidic foods, do they also leach calcium from bones? Would a nutritionist be in a better position to answer these food questions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 5 years ago.
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I am sorry to hear about your condition

Dr Brims :

Forteo is the most effective drug in increasing bone mass in osteoporosis patients, so it may be the better alternative , even though it is a daily injection, but if convenience is an issue then you should go with prolia

Dr Brims :

Milk does not take calcium from the bones, it makes calcium available

Dr Brims :

No food leaches milk from the bones

Dr Brims :

Both of these drugs are better than evista

Dr Brims :

There is no reason to go milk free

Dr Brims :

Nothing in your diet will leach milk from bones, so I don't think you need to worry about that

Dr Brims :

The fact that your doctor recommended both of these drugs means evista will not likely be enough