How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 34990
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I believe I have a pulled groin muscle. My inner thigh hurts

Resolved Question:

I believe I have a pulled groin muscle. My inner thigh hurts and sometimes the pain goes down towards my knee. It has been sore for about a month now. I can usually feel it when I walk and it causes me to limp but it gets really sore when I try to run or when I go up stairs. I'm trying to figure out if I should go to a doctor for a pulled muscle or if I should just continue to relax and ice it.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Is there any specific point of tenderness?
Do you remember the specific incidence like unaccustomed activity or injury which caused it?
Do you have any back pain?
How severe is the pain intensity?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Specific point of tenderness would be upper inner part of my thigh kind of where the tendon/muscle area sticks out from your thigh...if that makes sense.

I don't recall any specific incidence that caused the soreness, possibly during a stretch at the end of the night, but i'm not sure, just really noticed it one day when I was trying to run.

No back pain

Don't really know how to describe how severe the pain intesity is. Running and going up and down stairs its the worst, walking is sore and I limp, but every now and then get a sharper pain in the inner thigh that I will feel more than usual.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

This is likely to be adductor strain. Please read about it (this resource is technical, but gives an overview of the problem);

A mild pain can be managed at home, but moderate to severe pain and progressive symptoms would warrant an active help by a physical therapist or MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation. Following measures are recommended for the treatment;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant.

2) physical therapy; simple muscle stretch, augmented muscle stretch, post-isometric relaxation.

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation, high voltage galvanic stimulation, biofeedback.

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) mild massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

You may meanwhile apply cold compresses, local analgesic spray and take Ibuprofen for 3-5 days. Also try to avoid the painful activities which helps in healing the strain.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would you recommend going to have it looked at by a doctor or just continue to try at home stuff?
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.
The pain intensity guides the decision. A pain which is mild can be treated at home. You need a visit to a doctor, if;

1) pain is moderate to severe.
2) it is progressive or not getting better in last one month.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you