Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

Lyme...I believe I was bitten by a tick two months ago after

Lyme...I believe I was bitten by a tick two months ago after bringing in five large bags of fire wood from the barn. After two days there were ants, spiders in my house, and more concerning, two tick on my left leg. I removed them, but have become very I'll with joint ache, tremendous ache around my tailbone, fever, foggy brain.
Went to doctor and he directly dismissed the Lyme illness, "because ticks don't live in wintertime", but I saw them, removed them and have become ill. He said taking a Lyme test was a waste as I have had Lyme many yrs ago and I was told that old Lyme would show up as positive throughout my life.
Are these things true and what can I do? Which medicine would work and what might I have?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 5 years ago.
Hello JAcustomer,

I am so sorry that you are miserable, and I hope I can assist you. Please understand that online no one can say with any certainty what anything is, all we can do is give out best educated guess as to what something may be.

When people get sick and are exposed to a virus or bacteria, the body makes antibodies to that specific germ. The body makes two types, one on first exposure, and the second type that stays around for many years. Yes, your body will have antibodies to Lyme's, but it will have antibodies that show the infection was in the past, an old one. Blood testing should show if you have current Lyme's disease because it would show newer antibodies to it.

If you do have Lyme's disease, there is medical treatment for it, an antibiotic called doxycycline.

Here is information on the Lyme's test: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/lyme/tab/test

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have already been give the doxycycline with no positive effect. I was told there might be some stronger stuff around,..
Hello JAcustomer,

When did you get the doxycycline? Was this for this incident two months ago?

Thanks for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was given it right before Easter. Now I am getting antiinflammatories, they reduce my aches just slightly, but when I go off aches return in great numbers. Still have swollen lymfnodes and low grade fever and high fatigue.
Hello JAcustomer,

Thanks for that additional information. You may be one of the unlucky few (about 10-20% of patients) that have post treatment Lyme's disease syndrome. It seems that patients diagnosed later tend to get this. Antibiotics, however, dont truly help if it is this; it has to fade away over time on its own.

Here is information from the CDC on Post Treatment Lyme's Disease Syndrome: http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/postLDS/index.html

I would though suggest you seek a consult with an infectious disease specialist; many GP's may not know all the details and specifics about Lymes disease and they may not be aware of post treatment syndrome. I am presuming you took the doxycycline for the correct time period; but again, an infectious disease specialist may be able to assist you with more detail than your GP.

I hope I was able to help,
Sincerely,
Susan