Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

From the age of 13 my daughter has been in and out of hospital,

Customer Question

From the age of 13 my daughter has been in and out of hospital, on average twice a year. Her symtoms are severe stomach pains and vomiting sometimes with a temperature. She has been investigated for kidney stones, gall stones, appendicitis, pregnancy. She had none of these.Her blood test results come back inconclusive or on occasion show she's had an infection. She also has scar tissue on her kidneys. My daughter is now 21 and exactly the same situation has happened again.
She's had ct scans and ultra sounds.
It's getting to the stage that my daughter does not seek medical advice immediately because she thinks no body believes her and she doesn't want to waste anybody's time.
Eventually the pain gets so bad she has to seek help.
As her mother I'm concerned about an under lying problem and hope you have some advice for me

Thank you
Jacqueline
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Well given this has started around the age of 13 this could be due to a problem called Endometriosis, and This is something that is very hard to treat and initial treatment is with pain medications such as Ibuprofen, Mobic, Ultram.
But also, using birth control pills such as Yaz, Demulen.
Also, I would even recommend a diagnostic laparoscopy to look inside the pelvis and abdomen for endometrisos and scar tissue.
If endometriosis is found a good product is an injection of Depo Lupron.
I hope this helps, thank you
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 5 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

I am so terribly sorry to read of your daughters sufferings. I am writing because I have a somewhat different take than that of Dr Owen. Given that your daughter has had numerous tests and ultrasounds, I think that had she had endometriosis, it would have been found.

I am wondering if she could possibly have a migraine variant thats called appropriately enough, abdominal migraine? The symptoms are much the same as you describe; treatment is much the same as for conventional migraine.

Here is some more information on this, and it may be a good idea to discuss this with her doctors: http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/abdominal-migraines-children-adults

I hope I was able to help, and that she feels better.
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness