Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am having extremely painful stomach cramps which I believe

I am having extremely painful stomach cramps which I believe are being caused by food poisoning. They started after lunch yesterday (approx 12 hours ago), and got progressively worse around 9-10 hours ago. They have not let up at all, and are just a constant almost unbearable pain. I have been vomiting, having diarrahea on and off for about 7 hours. Please let me know if I should be worried that these cramps have not let up for a second and are very very painful.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.
Greetings.

Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal infection. You may need a course of antibiotics like Metrogyl. The initial management is as following;

1) PeptoBismol
2) Lomotil; may only be given if the diarrhea is vigorous.
3) Gatorade / Pedialyte
4) Plenty of fluids
5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also can help. Initially avoid the solid foods. Once your vomiting is better; you may gradually increase them.
6) Probiotics

The primary aim is prevention of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. If the diarrhea loss of fluids is too much or you are unable to drink enough liquids; you may need antibiotics and / or intravenous fluids. In that case you may need to got to ER. You may take tylenol for the pain. Ibuprofen is avoided, as it may increase the vomiting by gastric irritation. But if the pain is severe and unbearable; you may consider ER visit for injectable analgesics.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At what point should I be worried if these cramps persist at the level they have been? I have never had such painful cramps before and it worries. me. When I have had a flu or food poisoning in the past, any stomach pain is usually intermittent.

Collectively all your three symptoms would be taken in to consideration; pain, vomiting and diarrhea, for the medical intervention. If you are able to keep yourself reasonably hydrated; pain would likely get better in next 4-6 hours. If vomiting and diarrhea are moderate to severe and preventing adequate oral intake; and pain too is significant, you should visit ER immediately.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun