Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I hAVE A 2 YEAR OKD GRANDSON THAT STARTED STUTTERING OUT OF

Customer Question

i hAVE A 2 YEAR OKD GRANDSON THAT STARTED STUTTERING OUT OF THE BLUE ON ST PATRICKS DAY, HES PREGRESSIVEY GETTING WORSE HE HAS AN EVALUATION AND THE DR SAID TO TRY THE THERAOY AT HIE FIRST TO SEE IF THAT HELPED BUT IT HASNT AND ITS VERY BOTHERSONME TO WATCH HIM TRY TO SAY WORDS THAT HE SCREAMS OUT AT THE END OF THE WORD BECAUSE HES SO FRUSTRATED BECAUSE THE WORDS WONT COME OUT, IS THIS A PERMANENT THING WILL IT GO AWAY. cAN A THERAPIST GET HIM TO TALK NORMAK AGAIN, MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN CRYING OVER THIS FOR DAYS SINCE IT HAS BEGAN., HES SUCH A PRECIOUS LITTLE BOY AND THIS HAS JUSY MADE MY DAUGHTER GO OVER THE EDGE. WILL HE BE OK> IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE WRONG WITH HIM TO CAUSE THIS. NEUROLOGICAL HIS BRAIN, COULD U PLEASE HEKO ME UNDERSTAND THIS SO I CAN EXPLAIN THIS TO MY DAUGHTER BEFORE SHE HAS A NERVOUS BREAKDIWN AND SHE IS PREGNANT WITH HER SECOND CHILD AND SJE IS SO STRESSED OUT IM AFRRAID FOR HER AND THE BABY. PLEASE HELP PLEASE
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety. Stuttering can be just normal in this age group and part of learning to speak longer sentences. So this is likely to resolve either spontaneously or with a speech therapy. In a child, this is not likely to be due to any brain disorder (or neurological disease), especially if there are no other signs and symptoms. Occasionally this can be due to emotional trauma or problems with thoughts or reasoning, but this is not common cause. Just do not be worried too much before the child, as that may cause aggravation of stuttering. Help him to come out of it slowly. If this persists for couple of months; a speech therapy would be helpful to resolve it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Expert:  Guests replied 5 years ago.
why does this just come on like this.. how long does it take to go away do we have anyhting to worry about

This may come suddenly. If he does not have any problem in walking, loss of memory, nausea, vision issue; you should not be worried. This is likely to resolve either spontaneously slowly or if necessary by the speech therapy.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Expert:  Guests replied 5 years ago.
HE IS PROGRESSIVELY GETTING WORSE ITS ALMOST EVERY WORD HES STUTTERING NOW WAS ONLY ONE WORD , IS THIS COMMON LIKE GOTTA GET WORSE BEFORE BETTER THING?

Worsening is not the usual course of the problem. An early speech therapy would be advised. He would also be advised a neurological evaluation by a pediatric neurologist.

Dr. Arun