Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Neck spasm. I have had a neck spasm in 2009. The nerve pain

Customer Question
Neck spasm. I have had a...
Neck spasm.
I have had a neck spasm in 2009 . The nerve pain has reduced but tends to aggravate during certain sitting positions , sleeping positions or standing postions. The doctor says it could have happened due to wrong body postures.
When ever I attend sunday mass at church and If I have to stand straight after sometime I feel a vertigo sensation creeps in . Once I move my neck in another position the sensation goes.
I have tried different CAT scans , MRI on the brain , neck ..but every thing seems normal . But now I feel that spasm has affected one of the vertibar c5 , c6 or c7 because I feel a ligament move when I touch or press and it will make sound ( like vacuum in bottle ).
This leads me to get irritated and sometimes head aches . Occationally a high BP of 160/ 90 which the doctor says is because I am focusing on my pain and anxious about it. ECG was normal. .
Kindly advise.
I . Rosa
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
4/28/2012
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 5 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Greetings.

Your symptoms, as you mentioned are likely due to neck spine. It can cause headache and vertigo. Physical therapy, neck traction and cervical collar are the recommended treatment. This can be cervicogenic headache. Pain can be referred to the head from muscles, nerves, bones, joints and vascular structures in the neck. This should be differentiated by the migraine headache and tension-type headache. The mainstay of the treatment is physical therapy. Deep electrotherapy also may help and so the chiropractic manipulations.

Please read the resources;

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/105/4_suppl/16S

http://www.cinn.org/pain/headache-cervicogenic.html

The dizziness and neck issue can be explained on the basis of what we term as cervical spondylosis. This predisposes to lightheadedness or vertigo which can originate from a condition called as cervicogenic vertigo. This is because of the degenerative changes in the cervical spine and hardening of the carotid arteries (neck vessels which supply blood to brain). Read about the cervicogenic vertigo;

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/13/02/03.html

You should consult either a physical therapist or MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The would teach you specific exercises for neck and shoulder girdle and may consider traction to the neck.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)