Dr.S.A.Alam
Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

WHAT CAUSES THE RIGHT LEG COLLAPSE AND CAUSEING FALLS THAT

Customer Question

WHAT CAUSES THE RIGHT LEG COLLAPSE AND CAUSEING FALLS THAT INJURE ANKLE , KNEE AND HAMSTRING
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.S.A.Alam replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question,
You mean you have lack of power in this leg ?
Do you have any previous medical issues ?
Are you taking some medicine ?
Tests were done ?
This problem has increased or decreased ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

lack of power in right leg

yes diabetic, yes lower back pain, yes pain has been chronic over 25 yrs--heart problems

yes metformin 2 per day 500--actos 1 per day 15----plavix 1 every 2days 75

atenolol every day 2 50----aspirin 1 every day 81----alopurinol 1 every day 100

lantus insulin 50 at nite

xrays 15 yrs previous

problems increased considerbly in last 8 months

Hello,Thank you for your reply,Two main possible causes that may have caused weakness in your leg. Neuropathy secondary to diabetes and there may be some lumbar vertebral problem like weak or damaged vertebrae or disc between these vertebrae may be slipped or damaged which causes pressure on the nerves supplying the leg which may have lead to these symptoms. So you need is a clinical examination, x rays and MRI scan or the lumbar vertebrae and possibly nerve conduction studies. Another cause of such symptom higher up is mild stroke or TIA which may have caused this. You have diabetes and heart problem which also puts you at more risk of such problem. In this case we need CT scan of brain In initial evaluation. I hope this helps. Click accept if you have received your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

could this be related to what is called a "break a way" syndrome by the back injury people ?this was described to me by an aquaintence who is suing for an accident.

i don't want to sue any one i just need to try to understand my situation and try tokeep from further injury

Thank you for your reply,
With history of diabetes there are more chances that this problem occurred due to associated neuropathy which is very common in such patients. So in this case our primary diagnosis is neuropathy and as there is back pain so lumbar vertebral and disc problems are the second most likely cause.
Break away syndrome is not a widely used diagnosis and in this case we have to work up for the two most likely diagnosis and break a way is less likely option here.
I hope this helps.